4 Best Idioms For A Long Time
English Idioms for A Long Time, expressions and proverbs are an essential part of the English language, both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For English Language Students idioms for A Long Time are difficult to understand, the reason being Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, students learning English must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners run across comprehending the true meaning and correct usage. This list of idioms for A Long Time makes learning easy as ABC, with common A Long Time idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for A Long Time together.
Idioms for A Long Time with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Going Strong
Definition and Meaning: Going Strong
The expression “going strong” means that something is going well or working out well for a long time. It can also mean that you are doing fine despite problems.
Going Strong Example Sentences:
- After being married for a decade, the couples are going strong.
- We’re going strong as a team and have been winning the league for three years.
- My business is going strong despite the recession.
- Our relationship has gone through many ups and downs, but we are going strong.
2. Go The Distance
Definition and Meaning: Go The Distance
To “go the distance” means to complete an activity or task all the way through.
Go The Distance Time Example Sentences:
- I will go the distance in this project.
- She is willing to go the distance for her family.
- He loves his work and will go the distance to ensure it’s done right.
- They will go the distance to help their friend.
3. Take A Licking And Keep On Ticking
Definition and Meaning: Take A Licking And Keep On Ticking
The speaker has been waiting for the person they are speaking to call them for a long time.
Take A Licking And Keep On Ticking Example Sentences:
- The medical field is challenging. You have to take a licking and keep on ticking.
- In the construction site, the workers need to take a licking and keep on ticking for the completion of the budling.
- She will take a licking and keep on licking to finish her accounting degree.
- He is going to take a licking and keep on ticking until he gets his promotion.
4. Dunkirk Spirit
Definition and Meaning: Dunkirk Spirit
A “Dunkirk spirit” means that you are courageous or show a willingness to help in difficult times.
Dunkirk Spirit Example Sentences:
- He has a Dunkirk spirit for helping others.
- The people showed a Dunkirk spirit during the flood.
- She had a Dunkirk spirit when she saved her child from drowning.
- We have a Dunkirk spirit for protesting against corruption.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage, and meanings?
|Helpful Idioms For A Crowded Place|
|Helpful Idioms For Busy|
|Helpful Idioms For Experience|
|Best Idioms For Fast Speed|
|Best Idioms For Time Management|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Valentina has always been a teacher at heart. After spending eight years teaching college-level English, she realised that her true passion was helping people learn and grow – especially when it came to learning English. She firmly believes that in order for language learning to be successful, it’s important to create a comfortable and welcoming environment where students feel safe to experiment and take risks. When she’s not writing for the Lillypad community, Valentina loves travelling, reading and going for long walks with her dog Freddy.