6 Top Idioms For Birthdays
English Idioms for Birthdays, expressions, and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For English Learners idioms for Birthdays are difficult to figure out, the reason being Idioms don’t make objective sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, students learning English must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners encounter comprehending the true meaning and acceptable usage. This idioms list of Birthdays makes learning easygoing, with common Birthdays idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Birthdays together.
Idioms for Birthdays with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Social Butterfly
Definition and Meaning: Social Butterfly
The expression “social butterfly” describes a person who loves to socialize and has lots of friends.
Social Butterfly Example Sentences:
- Julian has always been a social butterfly. No wonder he became an actor.
- Fushio wanted to be a social butterfly but she doesn’t have the right temperament.
- Don’t worry about Phoebe. She’s a social butterfly. She’ll find a ride home.
- Yulee was well known for the social butterfly that she was when we were in college.
2. Let One’s Hair Down
Definition and Meaning: Let One’s Hair Down
The expression “let one’s hair down” means to relax by forgetting one’s inhibitions.
Let One’s Hair Down Example Sentences:
- It’s your birthday, Dean. Let your hair down for once.
- You know, I’d love to let my hair down but I don’t have any.
- Since having a child, Salome hasn’t been able to let her hair down.
- You can’t feel guilty about letting your hair down. You need that once in a while.
- Don’t you think someone has been letting their hair down a little bit too much?
3. Have A Whale Of A Time
Definition and Meaning: Have A Whale Of A Time
The expression “have a whale of a time” means to enjoy something thoroughly.
Have A Whale Of A Time Example Sentences:
- My children are having a whale of a time at the pool.
- Mathilde’s on her first book signing tour, so she’s having a whale of a time.
- We can’t wait to have a whale of a time at my brother’s art exhibit on Saturday.
- I believe Kendra’s idea of having a whale of a time is endless shots of tequila.
- You’ll have a whale of a time at the beach. We have it all to ourselves.
4. Paint The Town Red
Definition and Meaning: Paint The Town Red
The expression “paint the town red” means to go out and have a great time.
Paint The Town Red Example Sentences:
- I and the girls will paint the town red tonight.
- It’s Cillian’s birthday! Let’s paint the town red, come on!
- We didn’t do much except paint the town red during our trip.
- Are you ready to paint the town red?
- Don’t get me wrong. Painting the town red is cool, but we should still stay safe.
5. Party Animal
Definition and Meaning: Party Animal
This expression describes a person who lives for going to parties.
Party Animal Example Sentences:
- If I’m not going out with party animals, I’m not going at all.
- Being a party animal in your 20s is understandable. At your age now, it’s just sad.
- I’m sorry but I don’t want to date a party animal.
- Benson is a real party animal – he can drink and dance all night long.
6. Life Of The Party
Definition and Meaning: Life Of The Party
The expression “life of the party” means the person who’s at the center of all parties in that they have a lot of energy and can easily entertain or influence anyone.
Life Of The Party Example Sentences:
- You’re the life of the party, man. You have to be there.
- She’s the life of the party; outside of one, she’s kind of plain.
- Everyone he’s ever met agrees that Allen is the life of the party.
- Steve is the life of the party so everyone invites him whenever there is one.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage, and definitions?
|Everyday Idioms For Birthday|
|Top Idioms For Birthday Wishes|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
William is a professional English and ESL teacher with over 15 years of experience. He has taught students of all ages, from children to business executives, and has worked with ESL learners from all over the globe. With a degree in English Education, William has developed curriculum for learners of all levels and interests. He is passionate about helping people learn English effectively and shares his knowledge with the LillyPad community. When he’s not teaching or writing, William enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children.