5 Best Idioms For Common Things
English Idioms for Common Things, expressions, and proverbs are an essential part of the English language, both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For English Language Students idioms are confusing to understand, the reason being Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Common Things, English learners must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners struggle with comprehending the true meaning and appropriate usage. This list of idioms for Common Things makes learning easy, with common Common Things idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Common Things together.
Idioms for Common Things with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. In Every Corner
Definition and Meaning: In Every Corner
The expression describes something so common that it can be found everywhere.
In Every Corner Example Sentences:
- I was surprised to find fruit carts in every corner of the neighborhood.
- Scammers are found in every corner of this city.
- That’s nothing. You’ll find it in every corner.
Definition and Meaning: Garden-Variety
This expression describes something ordinary and encountered normally
Garden-Variety Example Sentences:
- A garden-variety rainfall in my country is considered a storm over there.
- It’s just your garden-variety church. There are older and more significant churches nearby.
- I hate being called garden variety. I believe I’m quite unique.
- We went inside your garden variety eatery and had some very bland food.
- Yes, it’s garden variety, but that’s all you can afford so I wouldn’t complain if I were you.
3. As Common As Mud
Definition and Meaning: As Common As Mud
This expression describes something that isn’t extraordinary or special in the slightest.
As Common As Mud Example Sentences:
- That kind of stuff is as common as mud, Nate. It’s not that deep.
- Men like him are as common as mud. And I’ve met many so I’m an authority on the topic.
- Ravi, this kind of bracelet is as common as mud. Let me take you to a specialty store.
- I’m not saying this to offend, but that outfit is as common as mud in these parts.
- Bettina didn’t know the flower was as common as mud. It was special to her anyway.
4. A Dime A Dozen
Definition and Meaning: A Dime A Dozen
The expression “a dime a dozen” is used to describe something so common that a person can find it easily.
A Dime A Dozen Example Sentences:
- Don’t worry, it’s a dime a dozen so it’s easy to spot.
- Those people are a dime a dozen during campaign season.
- Why are homeless people a dime a dozen in the “no.1 country in the world”.
- Neglected children like Jake are a dime a dozen, sadly. Our foundation is hoping to change that.
- We don’t have it, but it’s a dime a dozen over at Cornelius. You should buy it there.
Definition and Meaning: Run-Of-The-Mill
The expression “run-of-the-mill” means so common and ordinary that it’s boring.
Run-Of-The-Mill Example Sentences:
- This is a run-of-the-mill copycat cafe that says it originated the famous “egg” coffee.
- When he described this as run-of-the-mill, he clearly has no idea about fashion.
- She didn’t want to live in another run-of-the-mill subdivision with the usual strip malls.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage, and meanings?
|Common Idioms For Having A Bad Day|
|Best Idioms For Close Relationship|
|Helpful Idioms For Amazing Experience|
|Helpful Idioms For Annoyance|
|Useful Idioms For Hurt|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
William is a professional English and ESL teacher with over 15 years of experience. He has taught students of all ages, from children to business executives, and has worked with ESL learners from all over the globe. With a degree in English Education, William has developed curriculum for learners of all levels and interests. He is passionate about helping people learn English effectively and shares his knowledge with the LillyPad community. When he’s not teaching or writing, William enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children.