English Idioms for Different, expressions and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For English Learners idioms are confusing to comprehend, the reason being Idioms don’t make objective sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, ELL students must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners confront comprehending the true meaning and accepted usage. This idioms list of Different makes learning straightforward, with common Different idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Different together.
Idioms for Different with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. As Different As Night And Day
Definition and Meaning: As Different As Night And Day
The expression “as different as night and day” is used to describe two things that are very different from each other.
As Different As Night And Day Example Sentences:
- The two siblings were as different as night and day; one was outgoing and the other was shy.
- The two candidates for mayor had very different views on the city’s future; they were as different as night and day.
- The two restaurants had completely different atmospheres; it was as different as night and day.
- The two friends had completely different personalities; it was as different as night and day.
- The two teams had completely different strategies; it was as different as night and day.
2. Chalk And Cheese
Definition and Meaning: Chalk And Cheese
This expression is used to describe two things that are completely different from each other.
Chalk And Cheese Example Sentences:
- My two sons are like chalk and cheese – one is outgoing and the other is shy.
- My sister and I are like chalk and cheese – she’s a neat freak and I’m a slob.
- My husband and I are like chalk and cheese – he’s a morning person and I’m a night owl.
- My two best friends are like chalk and cheese – one is an extrovert and the other is an introvert.
- My two co-workers are like chalk and cheese – one is always punctual and the other is always late.
3. Two Peas In A Pod
Definition and Meaning: Two Peas In A Pod
The expression “two peas in a pod” is used to describe two things that are very similar to each other.
Two Peas In A Pod Example Sentences:
- My brother and I have been best friends since we were kids; we’re like two peas in a pod.
- My parents have been married for over 40 years; they’re like two peas in a pod.
- My friends and I have been inseparable since we met; we’re like two peas in a pod.
- My sister and I have always been close; we’re like two peas in a pod.
- My grandparents have been together for over 60 years; they’re like two peas in a pod.
4. One In A Million
Definition and Meaning: One In A Million
The expression “one in a million” means a person or thing that is very special or unusual.
One In A Million Example Sentences:
- She’s one in a million. No one else can decrypt that system.
- You’re one in a million to me. No one else can make me feel this happy.
- The idea of a soulmate is that they are one in a million. What if they’re in North Korea?
- Many of her colleagues think Kit is one in a million. They haven’t worked with anyone that toxic.
- This is a one-in-a-million chance to see your favorite band.
5. Black And White
Definition and Meaning: Black And White
The expression “black and white” is often used to describe a situation that is clear and simple, with no shades of gray.
Black And White Example Sentences:
- She saw the situation in black and white, refusing to consider any other perspective.
- The newspaper article presented the facts in black and white, leaving no room for interpretation.
- The judge’s ruling was clear cut, leaving no room for debate ~ it was black and white.
- The teacher’s instructions were black and white ~ there was no room for negotiation.
- The contract was written in black and white, leaving no room for misunderstanding.
6. Crème De La Crème
Definition and Meaning: Crème De La Crème
The expression “crème de la crème” describes the best person in a specific field.
Crème De La Crème Example Sentences:
- Dean will not settle for anyone except for the crème de la crème of fashion.
- He is the crème de la crème of programmers in the country.
- The crème de la crème of artists has left the city because of a lack of opportunities.
- Having multiple certificates in linguistics makes Rhonalyn the crème de la crème.
- I need a list of the crème de la crème of marketers in the region.
7. Tough Cookie
Definition and Meaning: Tough Cookie
A “tough cookie” is a person who can handle any challenge that comes their way.
Tough Cookie Example Sentences:
- My grandmother raised 6 children on her own. She’s a tough cookie.
- Ryuki’s a tough cookie; I think he can handle the meeting by himself.
- I honestly don’t think I’ve ever met a tough cookie bigger than you.
- Gregory sure is one tough cookie if he was able to charm Nerida.
- Kiara would like to think her parents raised her to be a tough cookie.
8. March To (The Beat Of) A Different Drum
Definition and Meaning: March To (The Beat Of) A Different Drum
The expression “march to (the beat of) a different drum” is used to describe two things that are opposite of each other.
March To (The Beat Of) A Different Drum Example Sentences:
- Sure, I respect that Fia likes to march to a different drum, but does she have to be so on the nose about it?
- People who claim that they march to the beat of a different drum are just fake show-offs who are actually boring.
- Yuri likes people who march to a different drum, but he’s pretty good at spotting the ones who are just pretending.
- My son had always marched to a different drum and I want him to retain that characteristic when he’s an adult.
- The reason Pam doesn’t have a lot of friends is that there are few who can handle how she marches to the beat of a different drum.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage, and meanings?
|Everyday Idioms For Beautiful|
|Top Idioms For Being Different|
|Helpful Idioms For Bad Situation|
|Best Idioms For Liking Something|
|Useful Idioms For Nature|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!