English Idioms for Dishonesty, expressions, and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For English Language Students idioms are difficult to conceptualize, the reason being Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Dishonesty, students studying English must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners confront comprehending the true meaning and right usage. This idioms list of Dishonesty makes learning easy as ABC, with common Dishonesty idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Dishonesty together.
Idioms for Dishonesty with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Bending The Truth
Definition and Meaning: Bending The Truth
The expression “bending the truth” means to slightly change the truth in order to make it more palatable or to make it fit a particular situation.
Bending The Truth Example Sentences:
- She was caught red-handed when her boss realized she was bending the truth about her sales figures.
- He was so desperate to get the job that he was bending the truth about his qualifications.
- She was accused of bending the truth when she said she had never been to the city before.
- He was caught bending the truth when he said he had never been late to work.
- She was accused of bending the truth when she said she had never been in trouble with the law.
2. Playing Fast And Loose
Definition and Meaning: Playing Fast And Loose
The expression “playing fast and loose” is often used to describe someone who is not being honest or who is behaving recklessly.
Playing Fast And Loose Example Sentences:
- The company has been playing fast and loose with their financial records, so it’s no surprise that they’re in trouble.
- The politician has been playing fast and loose with the truth, so no one trusts him anymore.
- The student was playing fast and loose with the rules, so he was suspended from school.
- The contractor was playing fast and loose with the building codes, so the project was shut down.
- The CEO was playing fast and loose with the company’s resources, so he was fired.
3. Pulling The Wool Over Someone’s Eyes
Definition and Meaning: Pulling The Wool Over Someone’s Eyes
The expression “pulling the wool over someone’s eyes” means to deceive someone by hiding the truth from them.
Pulling The Wool Over Someone’s Eyes Example Sentences:
- He’s been pulling the wool over our eyes for months now.
- She’s so good at pulling the wool over people’s eyes – she always gets away with it!
4. Being Economical With The Truth
Definition and Meaning: Being Economical With The Truth
The expression “being economical with the truth” means to deliberately withhold information or to present information in a way that is not completely accurate.
Being Economical With The Truth Example Sentences:
- When the politician was asked about his involvement in the scandal, he was being economical with the truth.
- The witness was being economical with the truth when she testified in court.
- The CEO was being economical with the truth when he reported the company’s financial results.
- The student was being economical with the truth when he told his professor he had read the entire book.
- The employee was being economical with the truth when he told his boss he had finished the project.
5. Telling Tales Out Of School
Definition and Meaning: Telling Tales Out Of School
The expression “telling tales out of school” means to reveal something that should be kept secret.
Telling Tales Out Of School Example Sentences:
- My friend was telling tales out of school when she revealed the details of our boss’s private life.
- I heard that my neighbor was telling tales out of school about my family.
- My co-worker was telling tales out of school when she shared confidential information about our company.
- My sister was telling tales out of school when she gossiped about our friends.
- My classmate was telling tales out of school when he spread rumors about our teacher.
6. Stretching The Truth
Definition and Meaning: Stretching The Truth
The expression “stretching the truth” means to exaggerate the truth or to tell a lie.
Stretching The Truth Example Sentences:
- She exaggerated her accomplishments on her resume, stretching the truth to make herself look more impressive.
- He claimed to have won the lottery, but it was just a case of stretching the truth.
- She was stretching the truth when she said she had been to the moon.
- His story about the fish he caught was a bit of a stretch, stretching the truth to make it sound more impressive.
- He was stretching the truth when he said he had been to every continent in the world.
7. Spinning A Yarn
Definition and Meaning: Spinning A Yarn
The expression “spinning a yarn” means to tell a story, usually a long and complicated one.
Spinning A Yarn Example Sentences:
- Grandpa was always good at spinning a yarn about his days in the Navy.
- I heard my uncle spinning a yarn about his time in the circus.
- My aunt is always spinning a yarn about her travels around the world.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage, and definitions?
|Helpful Idioms For Beautiful Places|
|Important Idioms For Compliments|
|Top Idioms For Change|
|Best Idioms For All The Best|
|Important Idioms For Songs|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!