English Idioms for Essay Writing, expressions, and proverbs are an essential part of the English language, both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For people learning English idioms are confusing to understand, the reason being Idioms don’t make objective sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Essay Writing, ESL students must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners run across comprehending the true meaning and suitable usage. This list of idioms for Essay Writing makes learning simple, with common Essay Writing idioms, definitions, and example sentences that make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Essay Writing together.
Idioms for Essay Writing with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. To Sugarcoat
Definition and Meaning: To Sugarcoat
The expression “to sugarcoat” means to make something more palatable or attractive by adding a layer of sweetness.
To Sugarcoat Example Sentences:
- She tried to sugarcoat the bad news, but it was still difficult to hear.
- He was trying to sugarcoat the truth, but I could tell he was lying.
- She was trying to sugarcoat the situation, but I could tell she was really upset.
- He was trying to sugarcoat the facts, but I could tell he was hiding something.
- She was trying to sugarcoat the reality of the situation, but it was still pretty grim.
2. The Pot Calling The Kettle Black
Definition and Meaning: The Pot Calling The Kettle Black
The expression “the pot calling the kettle black” is used to describe a situation where someone is criticizing another person for a fault or flaw that they have themselves.
The Pot Calling The Kettle Black Example Sentences:
- You’re telling me I’m too judgmental. That’s the pot calling the kettle black!
- You’re accusing me of being selfish. That’s the pot calling the kettle black!
- You’re saying I’m too critical. That’s the pot calling the kettle black!
- You’re telling me I’m too controlling. That’s the pot calling the kettle black!
- You’re saying I’m too nosy. That’s the pot calling the kettle black!
3. Stay The Course
Definition and Meaning: Stay The Course
This expression means to pursue or fulfill an objective until it’s finished despite its difficulty.
Stay The Course Example Sentences:
- I think if we stay the course, we’ll reap the benefits.
- Listen to me and just stay the course. You’re doing great.
- We’re here to stay the course, so don’t worry about us.
- This can get dicey, but I know if we stay the course, we will succeed.
- Can you imagine if we didn’t stay the course? We’d still be bankrupt.
4. Don’t Put All Your Eggs In One Basket
Definition and Meaning: Don’t Put All Your Eggs In One Basket
This expression is often used to caution against putting all of one’s resources into a single venture.
Don’t Put All Your Eggs In One Basket Example Sentences:
- When investing, it’s important to diversify your portfolio so you don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
- When it comes to job hunting, don’t put all your eggs in one basket Apply to multiple companies to increase your chances of getting hired.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to finding a new place to live Look at multiple options before making a decision.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to finding a new car Shop around and compare prices to get the best deal.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to finding a new business partner Meet with multiple potential partners before making a decision.
5. Don’t Judge A Book By Its Cover
Definition and Meaning: Don’t Judge A Book By Its Cover
The expression means that you should not judge something based on its appearance.
Don’t Judge A Book By Its Cover Example Sentences:
- Just because someone looks unapproachable, doesn’t mean they don’t have a kind heart Don’t judge a book by its cover.
- Don’t be fooled by the flashy exterior of the car It may look nice, but it could be a lemon. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
- Don’t be so quick to judge the new employee She may not have the most impressive resume, but she could be a great asset to the team. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
- Don’t be so quick to dismiss the new restaurant in town It may not look like much from the outside, but the food could be amazing. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
- Don’t be so quick to judge the new student in your class He may not be the most outgoing person, but he could be a great friend. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
6. Where There’s A Will, There’s A Way
Definition and Meaning: Where There’s A Will, There’s A Way
The expression “where there’s a will, there’s a way” means any obstacle or problem can be overcome with a strong will or determination.
Where There’s A Will, There’s A Way Example Sentences:
- Where there’s a will, there’s a way, so we’ll figure it out.
- No one was expecting him to solve the issue, but where there’s a will, there’s a way.
- The new system posed a serious problem. But where there’s a will, there’s a way.
- I believe that where there’s a will, there’s a way, so we’ll find a way through this.
- You know where there’s a will, there’s a way, right? So use your head.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage, and meanings?
|10 Helpful Idioms For Social Media Essay|
|8 Important Idioms For Academic Writing|
|8 Top Idioms For Article Writing|
|10 Important Idioms For Email|
|10 Everyday Idioms For Argumentative Essay|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!