English Idioms for Essay, expressions and proverbs are an essential part of the English language, both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For people learning English idioms for Essay are difficult to conceptualize, the reason being Idioms don’t make common sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, learners must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners face in comprehending the true meaning and suitable usage. This idioms list of Essay makes learning straightforward, with common Essay idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Essay together.
Idioms for Essay with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. A Penny Saved Is A Penny Earned
Definition and Meaning: A Penny Saved Is A Penny Earned
The expression “A penny saved is a penny earned” means that if you save money, it is the same as if you had earned that money.
A Penny Saved Is A Penny Earned Example Sentences:
- I’m trying to save money for a new car, so I’m cutting back on my daily coffee runs A penny saved is a penny earned!
- I’m investing in a retirement fund to ensure I have a comfortable future A penny saved is a penny earned!
- I’m using coupons and shopping sales to save money on groceries A penny saved is a penny earned!
- I’m setting aside a portion of my paycheck each month to save for a vacation A penny saved is a penny earned!
- I’m taking advantage of my employer’s 401(k) matching program A penny saved is a penny earned!
2. Play For Time
Definition and Meaning: Play For Time
The expression “play for time” is an idiom that means to delay a task on purpose to have more time to decide on the next steps, or do things more slowly than normal because one is lazy.
Play For Time Example Sentences:
- Gina is playing for time to distract her mom from the mess in the living room.
- We can play for time to shift the blame from us or we can own up to the delay.
- Some people play for time when they want to slack off from work.
- I know you’re playing for time, so just tell me what’s bothering you.
- Heidi is making up a lot of excuses to play for time.
3. Since Time Immemorial
Definition and Meaning: Since Time Immemorial
The expression describes something that began so long ago that no one can remember or something that has existed or been a certain way for a very long time.
Since Time Immemorial Example Sentences:
- The system has been broken since time immemorial.
- We’ve had the same unsightly logo since time immemorial.
- It’s been that way since time immemorial, so I don’t understand the surprise.
- I’ve had my hair dyed since time immemorial.
- Blackouts have been plaguing us since time immemorial.
4. Time On One’s Hands
Definition and Meaning: Time On One’s Hands
This expression is often used to indicate that one has some free time.
Time On One’s Hands Example Sentences:
- I don’t have a lot of time on my hands so speak quickly.
- Fairuza has a lot of time on her hands so she’s able to pursue several hobbies.
- I’m not sure if Deacon has time on his hands at the moment but I’ll tell him.
- Do you have time on your hands to take on an extra project?
- Willy doesn’t have time on his hands because he works relentlessly.
5. Behind The Times
Definition and Meaning: Behind The Times
This expression “behind the times” describes someone or something that’s old-fashioned.
- We’re way behind the times when it comes to marriage legislation.
- It’s either he’s behind the times or he just hates social media.
- What happened? I’m so behind the times with current events.
6. To Sugarcoat
Definition and Meaning: To Sugarcoat
The expression “to sugarcoat” means to make something sound more positive than it actually is.
To Sugarcoat Example Sentences:
- She tried to sugarcoat the bad news, but it was still difficult to hear.
- He was trying to sugarcoat the truth, but I could tell he was lying.
- She was trying to sugarcoat the situation, but I could tell she was really upset.
- He was trying to sugarcoat the facts, but I could tell he was hiding something.
- She was trying to sugarcoat the reality of the situation, but it was still pretty grim.
7. That’ll Be The Day
Definition and Meaning: That’ll Be The Day
This expression is often used to express disbelief or skepticism.
That’ll Be The Day Example Sentences:
- I’ll be able to run a marathon in under two hours – that’ll be the day!
- My brother said he’ll clean his room without being asked – that’ll be the day!
- My cat said she’ll stop sleeping on my bed – that’ll be the day!
- My friend said he’ll stop eating junk food – that’ll be the day!
- My boss said he’ll give us a raise – that’ll be the day!
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage, and meanings?
|4 Best Idioms For Creative Writing|
|8 Important Idioms For Academic Writing|
|10 Everyday Idioms For Argumentative Essay|
|10 Helpful Idioms For Social Media Essay|
|10 Important Idioms For Email|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!