8 Helpful Idioms For Failing
English Idioms for Failing, expressions and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For ESL Students idioms are frustrating to get one’s head around, the reason being Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Failing, learners must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners content with comprehending the true meaning and appropriate usage. This list of idioms for Failing makes learning simple, with common Failing idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Failing together.
Idioms for Failing with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. That’ll Be The Day
Definition and Meaning: That’ll Be The Day
The expression “that’ll be the day” is used to express disbelief or doubt.
That’ll Be The Day Example Sentences:
- I’ll be able to run a marathon in under two hours – that’ll be the day!
- My brother said he’ll clean his room without being asked – that’ll be the day!
- My cat said she’ll stop sleeping on my laptop – that’ll be the day!
- My friend said he’ll stop eating junk food – that’ll be the day!
- My sister said she’ll stop talking on the phone all night – that’ll be the day!
2. I’ll Believe It When I See It
Definition and Meaning: I’ll Believe It When I See It
This expression is often used to express skepticism or doubt.
I’ll Believe It When I See It Example Sentences:
- My friend said he got a promotion, but I’ll believe it when I see it.
- My brother said he’s going to start studying for his exams, but I’ll believe it when I see it.
- My colleague said she’s going to finish her project on time, but I’ll believe it when I see it.
- My neighbor said he’s going to clean up his yard, but I’ll believe it when I see it.
- My teacher said she’s going to give us an extra credit assignment, but I’ll believe it when I see it.
3. Fat Chance
Definition and Meaning: Fat Chance
The expression “fat chance” is used to describe a situation that is very unlikely to happen.
Fat Chance Example Sentences:
- I asked my boss for a raise, but I have a fat chance of getting it.
- I’m trying to win the lottery, but I know I have a fat chance of doing so.
- I’m trying to get a job in this competitive market, but I have a fat chance of succeeding.
- I’m trying to get a date with that popular girl, but I have a fat chance of it happening.
- I’m trying to get into the college of my dreams, but I have a fat chance of getting accepted.
4. Over My Dead Body
Definition and Meaning: Over My Dead Body
The expression “over my dead body” is used to express a strong opposition to something.
Over My Dead Body Example Sentences:
- I’m not letting you borrow my car – over my dead body!
- You’ll never get me to agree to that – over my dead body!
- I won’t let you quit school – over my dead body!
- You’re not going to that party – over my dead body!
- You’re not going to date him – over my dead body!
5. When Pigs Fly
Definition and Meaning: When Pigs Fly
The expression “when pigs fly” is used to describe something that will never happen.
When Pigs Fly Example Sentences:
- I’ll believe it when pigs fly!
- There’s no way that’s going to happen – when pigs fly!
- When pigs fly!
- When pigs fly!
- When pigs fly!
6. I Wouldn’t Bet On It
Definition and Meaning: I Wouldn’t Bet On It
This expression means that the speaker is not confident that the thing they are talking about will happen.
I Wouldn’t Bet On It Example Sentences:
- I wouldn’t bet on it.
7. You’re Dreaming
Definition and Meaning: You’re Dreaming
The expression “you’re dreaming” is used to describe something that is not possible or is not likely to happen.
You’re Dreaming Example Sentences:
- You think you can get an A on the test without studying. You’re dreaming!
- You think you can win the lottery without buying a ticket. You’re dreaming!
- You think you can get a promotion without putting in the work. You’re dreaming!
- You think you can get a date with your celebrity crush. You’re dreaming!
- You think you can get a raise without asking for it. You’re dreaming!
8. Cold Day In Hell
Definition and Meaning: Cold Day In Hell
The expression “cold day in hell” is used to describe a situation that is extremely unlikely to happen.
Cold Day In Hell Example Sentences:
- I’ll believe it when I see it, and that’ll be a cold day in hell!
- I’m never going to apologize to him, not even on a cold day in hell!
- She’ll never agree to that, not even on a cold day in hell!
- He’ll never admit he was wrong, not even on a cold day in hell!
- I’ll never forgive him, not even on a cold day in hell!
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage, and definitions?
|Common Idioms For Poor Family|
|Everyday Idioms For Beautiful|
|Common Idioms For Being Broke|
|Important Idioms For Different Situations|
|Useful Idioms For Happy Journey|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
William is a professional English and ESL teacher with over 15 years of experience. He has taught students of all ages, from children to business executives, and has worked with ESL learners from all over the globe. With a degree in English Education, William has developed curriculum for learners of all levels and interests. He is passionate about helping people learn English effectively and shares his knowledge with the LillyPad community. When he’s not teaching or writing, William enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children.