English Idioms for Famous, expressions and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For ESL Students idioms are hard to learn, the reason being Idioms don’t make objective sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, ELL students must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners struggle with comprehending the true meaning and proper usage. This list of idioms for Famous makes learning effortless, with common Famous idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Famous together.
Idioms for Famous with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Top Dog
Definition and Meaning: Top Dog
The expression to call someone who is extremely popular, influential, or powerful.
Top Dog Example Sentences:
- These are the top dogs of that department.
- Should we invite the top dogs from the Singapore branch?
- Who’s the top dog in your club?
- You’ve always been the top dog wherever you go.
- Top dog woes. I’m sorry but I can’t relate.
2. Rule The Roost
Definition and Meaning: Rule The Roost
The expression “rule the roost” means to describe that someone leads a community or a group.
Rule The Roost Example Sentences:
- Frederick rules the roost, so you may want to bring this idea to him.
- It’s not hard to find out who rules the roost.
- Rina ruled the roost until all seven members voted her out.
3. Big Fish In A Small Pond
Definition and Meaning: Big Fish In A Small Pond
This expression refers to someone who has a high position, value, or importance in a small organization.
Big Fish In A Small Pond Example Sentences:
- There are some advantages to being a big fish in a small pond.
- He chose to remain a big fish in a small pond because he likes his coworkers.
- Aren’t you tired of being a big fish in a small pond?
4. Carry Weight
Definition and Meaning: Carry Weight
The expression means a person or idea that has great importance.
Carry Weight Example Sentences:
- She is the creative lead, of course, her suggestions carry weight.
- These are important documents but I’m afraid they don’t carry weight.
- This guy’s resume carries weight. We need someone who has worked in ads.
- Do you think his suggestions carry weight after the incident?
- Vilma’s the only one who carries weight in the team.
5. Friends In High Places
Definition and Meaning: Friends In High Places
The expression means friends who have great influence and position in government, law enforcement, or business.
Friends In High Places Example Sentences:
- You’ll be surprised what he can do. He has friends in high places.
- Do you know anyone who had friends in high places?
- Friends in high places can be useful when you’re in a bind.
- Everyone I know has friends in high places, except me.
- What makes you think I have friends in high places?
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage, and definitions?
|9 Important Idioms For Books|
|8 Best Idioms For Common Things|
|7 Helpful Idioms For Cute|
|10 Common Idioms For Bad|
|8 Helpful Idioms For A Bad Day|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!