5 Important Idioms For Flying
English Idioms for Flying use expressions and proverbs that are an essential part of the English language. Both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For English Language Students, idioms are difficult to get one’s head around, the reason being Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, ELL students must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners contend with comprehending the true meaning and appropriate usage. This list of idioms for Flying makes learning easygoing, with common Flying idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice. Bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let’s learn about idioms for Flying together.
Idioms for Flying with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Hit The Ground Running
Definition and Meaning: Hit The Ground Running
The expression “hit the ground running” means to start doing something immediately and with a lot of energy.
Hit The Ground Running Example Sentences:
- After being laid off from her job, she hit the ground running and started her own business
- The new president hit the ground running and has already made some major changes in his first 100 days
- I hit the ground running when I got to college and got involved in a lot of different activities
- When I started my new job, I hit the ground running and tried to learn as much as I could
- My friend hit the ground running when she moved to a new city and made a lot of new friends
2. Crash And Burn
Definition and Meaning: Crash And Burn
The expression “crash and burn” is often used to describe a situation where someone has failed miserably.
Crash And Burn Example Sentences:
- I can’t believe she actually agreed to go out with him – he’s such a crash-and-burn!
- Wow, he really crashed and burned on that test
- I’m not going to stand by and watch you crash and burn
- I don’t enjoy watching people crash and burn
3. Fly By
Definition and Meaning: Fly By
The expression “Fly By” is often used to describe a situation where something will pass by quickly.
Fly By Example Sentences:
- This vacation is going to fly by!
- The next semester will just fly by!
- I don’t want to go home, Its all flown by
- I want this next year to fly by
- This evening has just flown by!
4. With Flying Colours
Definition and Meaning: With Flying Colours
The expression “with flying colours” is often used to describe a situation where you have passed a test.
With Flying Colours Example Sentences:
- He passed the test with flying colours!
- She swam the laps with flying colours!
- He won the race with flying colours!
- He came home with flying colours.
5. By the Seat of Your Pants
Definition and Meaning: By the Seat of Your Pants
The expression “by the seat of your pants” is often used to describe a situation where someone is spontaneous.
By the Seat of Your Pants Example Sentences:
- I can’t believe she actually agreed to go out with him – she’s flying by the seat of her pants!
- She has no plan! She’s flying by the seat of her pants
- He’s a real “fly by the seat of your pants” kind of guy”
- I have no plan for this trip, I’m just flying by the seat of my pants
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage and meanings?
|Idioms For Conclusion|
|Idioms For Being Broke|
|Idioms For Eating|
|Idioms For Eating A Lot|
|Idioms For Cool|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Bethany MacDonald has contributed articles LillyPad.ai since 2020. As their Blog Lead, she specialises in informative pieces on culture, education, and language learning