5 Common Idioms For Funny
For ESL Students idioms for Funny are difficult to comprehend, the reason being Idioms don’t make objective sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, students learning English must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners bump into comprehending the true meaning and right usage. This idioms list of Funny makes learning simple, with common Funny idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Funny together.
Idioms for Funny with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. That’s A Laugh
Definition and Meaning: That’s A Laugh
The expression “that’s a laugh” is used to describe something that is not funny.
That’s A Laugh Example Sentences:
- My boss said I could take the day off, that’s a laugh!
- I asked my parents for a raise in allowance, that’s a laugh!
- I asked my teacher for an extension on my assignment, that’s a laugh!
- I asked my friend to pay for my dinner, that’s a laugh!
- I asked my boss for a promotion, that’s a laugh!
2. Pulling One’s Leg
Definition and Meaning: Pulling One’s Leg
The expression “pulling one’s leg” is used to indicate that the person you are speaking to is not being serious, joking, or saying something incredibly unbelievable.
You’re Joking Example Sentences:
- Stop pulling my leg. That didn’t happen.
- I’m just pulling your leg. Haha!
- You’re pulling my leg, aren’t you?
3. You Must Be Kidding
Definition and Meaning: You Must Be Kidding
The expression “you must be kidding” is used to express disbelief or surprise.
You Must Be Kidding Example Sentences:
- You want me to jump off a bridge.You must be kidding!
- You think I’m going to eat that.You must be kidding!
- You want me to stay up all night studying.You must be kidding!
- You think I’m going to wear that outfit.You must be kidding!
- You think I’m going to do all of that work in one day.You must be kidding!
4. I’ll Bet!
Definition and Meaning: I’ll Bet!
The expression “I’ll bet!” is used to express surprise, disbelief, or doubt.
I’ll Bet! Example Sentences:
- I’ll bet you can’t finish that entire pizza by yourself!
- I’ll bet you can’t beat my high score in this game!
- I’ll bet you can’t guess what I got you for your birthday!
- I’ll bet you can’t run a mile in under five minutes!
- I’ll bet you can’t name all the countries in Europe!
5. No Way!
Definition and Meaning: No Way!
This expression is used to express disbelief or to reject an offer or suggestion.
No Way! Example Sentences:
- My boss asked me to work on the weekend, and I said, “No way!
- My friend asked me to jump off a bridge, and I said, “No way!
- My teacher asked me to write a 10-page essay in one night, and I said, “No way!
- My mom asked me to eat a plate of Brussels sprouts, and I said, “No way!
- My brother asked me to lend him $100, and I said, “No way!
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage, and definitions?
|Everyday Idioms For Making A Bad Situation Worse|
|Helpful Idioms For Beach|
|Useful Idioms For Everyday|
|Everyday Idioms For Drinking|
|Top Idioms For Decision Making|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
William is a professional English and ESL teacher with over 15 years of experience. He has taught students of all ages, from children to business executives, and has worked with ESL learners from all over the globe. With a degree in English Education, William has developed curriculum for learners of all levels and interests. He is passionate about helping people learn English effectively and shares his knowledge with the LillyPad community. When he’s not teaching or writing, William enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children.