English Idioms for Greed, expressions and proverbs are an essential part of the English language. Both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For English Language Students, idioms are difficult to understand, the reason being; Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Greed, language learners must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners run across comprehending the true meaning and correct usage. This idioms list of Greed makes learning straightforward, with common Greed idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice. Bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Greed together.
Idioms for Greed with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Greed Is The Root Of All Evil
Definition and Meaning: Greed Is The Root Of All Evil
The expression “Greed is the root of all evil” means that greed is the cause of all evil.
Greed Is The Root Of All Evil Example Sentences:
- My friend’s obsession with money and material possessions has proven that greed is the root of all evil
- The CEO’s decision to cut employee wages in order to increase profits is a clear example of how greed is the root of all evil
- The corrupt politician’s misuse of public funds for personal gain is a testament to how greed is the root of all evil
- The financial crisis of 2008 was caused by the greed of Wall Street bankers, proving that greed is the root of all evil
- The war between two countries was started by a desire for more resources, showing that greed is the root of all evil
2. Bottomless Pit
Definition and Meaning: Bottomless Pit
The expression “bottomless pit” is used to describe a very deep hole that has no bottom.
Bottomless Pit Example Sentences:
- His appetite was like a bottomless pit; no matter how much he ate, he was never full
- She had a bottomless pit of energy; she was always up and ready to go
- His wallet was a bottomless pit; he was always spending money on something
- His curiosity was a bottomless pit; he was always asking questions and seeking knowledge
- His thirst for adventure was a bottomless pit; he was always looking for something new and exciting to do
3. Greed Knows No Bounds
Definition and Meaning: Greed Knows No Bounds
The expression “Greed knows no bounds” means that people who are greedy will never be satisfied with what they have and will always want more.
Greed Knows No Bounds Example Sentences:
- The CEO’s greed knows no bounds; he’s willing to do anything to increase his wealth
- The politician’s greed knows no bounds; he’s willing to sacrifice the public’s best interests for his own gain
- The businessman’s greed knows no bounds; he’s willing to exploit his workers to make a profit
- The investor’s greed knows no bounds; he’s willing to take risks with other people’s money to make a quick buck
- The gambler’s greed knows no bounds; he’s willing to bet it all on a single roll of the dice
4. Greed Is A Cancer
Definition and Meaning: Greed Is A Cancer
The expression “Greed is a cancer” is used to describe how greed can ruin a person or thing.
Greed Is A Cancer Example Sentences:
- Greed is a cancer that can destroy even the strongest of relationships
- Greed is a cancer that can lead to the downfall of entire nations
- Greed is a cancer that can consume a person’s soul and leave them empty
- Greed is a cancer that can cause people to do terrible things in pursuit of money
- Greed is a cancer that can spread quickly and cause irreparable damage
5. Greed Is A Disease
Definition and Meaning: Greed Is A Disease
The expression “greed is a disease” is used to describe the act of being excessively greedy or selfish.
Greed Is A Disease Example Sentences:
- Greed is a disease that can lead to a person’s downfall if they don’t learn to control it
- Greed is a disease that can cause people to make bad decisions and hurt those around them
6. Greed Is A Virus
Definition and Meaning: Greed Is A Virus
The expression “Greed is a virus” means that greed is a destructive force that can spread quickly and cause harm.
Greed Is A Virus Example Sentences:
- Greed is a virus that can quickly spread and infect the minds of those who are not careful
- Greed is a virus that can cause people to make decisions that are not in their best interest
- Greed is a virus that can lead to a lack of empathy and compassion for others
- Greed is a virus that can cause people to become obsessed with money and material possessions
- Greed is a virus that can cause people to lose sight of what is truly important in life
7. Greed Is An Addiction
Definition and Meaning: Greed Is An Addiction
The expression “Greed is an addiction” means that greed is a habit that is hard to break.
Greed Is An Addiction Example Sentences:
- Greed is an addiction that can lead to financial ruin if it is not kept in check
8. A Destructive Force
Definition and Meaning: A Destructive Force
The expression “a destructive force” is used to describe something that has the power to cause great damage or destruction.
A Destructive Force Example Sentences:
- The tornado was a destructive force, leaving a path of destruction in its wake
- The fire was a destructive force, burning down the entire forest
- The hurricane was a destructive force, causing massive flooding and destruction
- The earthquake was a destructive force, destroying buildings and homes
- The war was a destructive force, leaving death and destruction in its wake
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage and meanings?
|8 Important Idioms For Dying|
|7 Useful Idioms For Failure|
|9 Common Idioms For Eating|
|9 Common Idioms For Congratulations|
|6 Everyday Idioms For Cooperation|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!