8 Useful Idioms For Helping
English Idioms for Helping, expressions and proverbs are an essential part of the English language. Both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For English Learners, idioms are frustrating to understand, the reason being; Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Helping, learners must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners content with comprehending the true meaning and accurate usage. This list of idioms for Helping makes learning simple, with common Helping idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice. Bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let’s learn about idioms for Helping together.
Idioms for Helping with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. A Helping Hand
Definition and Meaning: A Helping Hand
The expression “a helping hand” is used to describe someone who is willing to help another person in need.
A Helping Hand Example Sentences:
- My neighbour offered me a helping hand when I was struggling to move my furniture
- My boss gave me a helping hand when I was having trouble with a project
- My friend was always there to lend me a helping hand when I needed it
- My parents gave me a helping hand when I was trying to find a job
- My teacher offered me a helping hand when I was struggling with my studies
2. A Shoulder To Cry On
Definition and Meaning: A Shoulder To Cry On
The expression “a shoulder to cry on” means someone who is willing to listen to and comfort someone who is upset.
A Shoulder To Cry On Example Sentences:
- After her breakup, she needed a shoulder to cry on, so she called her best friend
- When his father passed away, he was grateful to have his mother as a shoulder to cry on
- When she was feeling overwhelmed, she was thankful to have her sister as a shoulder to cry on
- After his dog died, he was grateful to have his neighbour as a shoulder to cry on
- When she was feeling down, she was thankful to have her pastor as a shoulder to cry on
3. A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed
Definition and Meaning: A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed
The expression means that a friend who helps you when you are in need is a true friend.
A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed Example Sentences:
- When my car broke down on the side of the road, my best friend was there to help me out A friend in need is a friend indeed.
- When I was struggling to make ends meet, my neighbour offered to lend me some money A friend in need is a friend indeed.
- When I was feeling down, my best friend was there to listen and offer words of encouragement A friend in need is a friend indeed.
- When I was feeling overwhelmed with my workload, my colleague offered to help me out A friend in need is a friend indeed.
- When I was feeling lonely, my friend invited me out for dinner A friend in need is a friend indeed.
4. A Listening Ear
Definition and Meaning: A Listening Ear
The expression “a listening ear” is often used to describe someone who is willing to listen to another person’s problems or concerns.
A Listening Ear Example Sentences:
- My best friend always provides me with a listening ear when I need to talk about my problems
- My mom has always been there with a listening ear when I needed someone to talk to
- I’m so grateful for my therapist who always gives me a listening ear when I need to vent
- My pastor is always willing to lend a listening ear when I need spiritual guidance
- I’m so thankful for my colleagues who always provide me with a listening ear when I need to talk about work-related issues
5. A Word Of Encouragement
Definition and Meaning: A Word Of Encouragement
The expression “a word of encouragement” means a word or phrase that is said in order to make someone feel more confident or hopeful.
A Word Of Encouragement Example Sentences:
- You can do it! Just keep going and don’t give up Here’s a word of encouragement for you.
- You have worked so hard on this project Here’s a word of encouragement to keep you motivated.
- You have come so far Don’t forget that. Here’s a word of encouragement to keep you going.
- You have the potential to do great things Here’s a word of encouragement to help you reach your goals.
- You have the strength and courage to make it through this Here’s a word of encouragement to remind you of that.
6. A Pat On The Back
Definition and Meaning: A Pat On The Back
The expression “a pat on the back” is used to describe a situation where someone is praised or congratulated for their achievements.
A Pat On The Back Example Sentences:
- After completing the project, the team leader gave everyone a pat on the back for their hard work
- The teacher gave the student a pat on the back for getting an A on the test
- After winning the race, the coach gave the athlete a pat on the back for their dedication and effort
- After finishing the marathon, the runner’s friends and family gave them a pat on the back for their accomplishment
- After giving a great presentation, the boss gave the employee a pat on the back for their success
7. A Hug
Definition and Meaning: A Hug
The expression “a hug” is a term of endearment that is used to express affection towards someone.
A Hug Example Sentences:
- After a long day at work, I was so relieved to come home to a hug from my family
- I gave my best friend a hug to show her how much I care about her
- My mom always gives me a hug when I’m feeling down
- I gave my little brother a hug to congratulate him on his good grades
- I gave my partner a hug to let them know I was thinking of them
8. A Kind Word
Definition and Meaning: A Kind Word
The expression “a kind word” is used to describe a word or phrase that is said in a caring or compassionate way.
A Kind Word Example Sentences:
- She always had a kind word for everyone she met
- He didn’t have a kind word about his mother
- She wasn’t going to say a kind word about it
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage and meanings?
|Idioms For Cool|
|Idioms For Difficult|
|Idioms For Grateful|
|Idioms For Being The Best|
|Idioms For Making A Bad Situation Worse|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Bethany MacDonald has contributed articles LillyPad.ai since 2020. As their Blog Lead, she specialises in informative pieces on culture, education, and language learning