English Idioms for Home, expressions and proverbs are an essential part of the English language. Both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For ESL Students, idioms are frustrating to comprehend, the reason being; Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Home, students studying English must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners bump into comprehending the true meaning and appropriate usage. This list of idioms for Home makes learning simple, with common Home idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice. Bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let’s learn about idioms for Home together.
Idioms for Home with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. There’s No Place Like Home
Definition and Meaning: There’s No Place Like Home
The expression “there’s no place like home” means that there is no other place that is as good as one’s home.
There’s No Place Like Home Example Sentences:
- After a long day at work, I’m so happy to be back home There’s no place like home!
- I’ve been travelling for months, and I’m so excited to finally be back There’s no place like home!
- I’m so grateful to have a roof over my head and a place to call home There’s no place like home!
- After a long day of sightseeing, I’m so happy to be back in my own bed There’s no place like home!
- I’m so thankful for my family and the comfort of home There’s no place like home!
2. Home Is Where The Heart Is
Definition and Meaning: Home Is Where The Heart Is
The expression “home is where the heart is” means that the place where you feel most comfortable and happy is your home.
Home Is Where The Heart Is Example Sentences:
- I may be far away, but home is where the heart is
- I may have changed my address, but home is still where the heart is
3. Home Sweet Home
Definition and Meaning: Home Sweet Home
The expression “home sweet home” is used to describe the feeling of comfort and happiness that one experiences when they are in their own home.
Home Sweet Home Example Sentences:
- After a long day of work, I’m so happy to be back home sweet home
- After a long vacation, it’s nice to be back home sweet home
- After a long journey, I’m glad to be home sweet home
- After a long day of errands, I’m relieved to be home sweet home
- After a long day of school, I’m excited to be home sweet home
4. A Man’s Home Is His Castle
Definition and Meaning: A Man’s Home Is His Castle
The expression “A man’s home is his castle” is an idiom that means a man’s home is his own private domain where he is free to do as he pleases.
A Man’s Home Is His Castle Example Sentences:
- John was adamant that no one was allowed to enter his home without his permission, as a man’s home is his castle
- When his children were growing up, he always reminded them that a man’s home is his castle and that they should respect his privacy
- The homeowner was outraged when the city tried to impose restrictions on his property, as he believed a man’s home is his castle
- The couple was determined to make their home a place of peace and tranquillity, as they believed a man’s home is his castle
- The landlord was very strict about enforcing the rules of the building, as he believed a man’s home is his castle
5. Home From Home
Definition and Meaning: Home From Home
The expression “home from home” is used to describe a place that is comfortable and familiar, like one’s own home.
Home From Home Example Sentences:
- After moving to a new city, I was so relieved to find a church that felt like a home from home
- My grandparents’ house was always a home from home for me when I was growing up
- I was so happy to find a hostel that was a home from home during my travels
- My best friend’s house is like a home from home for me
- I was so glad to find a restaurant that was a home from home when I was away from home
6. There’s Nothing Like
Definition and Meaning: There’s Nothing Like
The expression “there’s nothing like” means that there is no other thing that is comparable to the thing being mentioned.
There’s Nothing Like Example Sentences:
- There’s nothing like a hot cup of coffee on a cold winter morning
- There’s nothing like a day at the beach to relax and unwind
- There’s nothing like a home-cooked meal to bring the family together
- There’s nothing like a good book to take you away from reality
- There’s nothing like a hug from a loved one to make you feel better
7. Go Home And Crash
Definition and Meaning: Go Home And Crash
The expression “go home and crash” is often used to describe someone who is tired and wants to go home to sleep.
Go Home And Crash Example Sentences:
- After a long day at work, I’m ready to go home and crash
- I’m so tired from running errands all day, I’m just going to go home and crash
- I’m going to go home and crash after this long weekend
- I’m so worn out from this road trip, I’m just going to go home and crash
8. I Can’t Wait To See My Family
Definition and Meaning: I Can’t Wait To See My Family
The speaker is looking forward to seeing their family and can’t wait for the event.
I Can’t Wait To See My Family Example Sentences:
- I’m so excited for the holidays, I can’t wait to see my family!
- I’ve been away for so long, I can’t wait to see my family!
- I’m so looking forward to the reunion, I can’t wait to see my family!
- I’m so eager to get home, I can’t wait to see my family!
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage and meanings?
|9 Helpful Idioms For Daily Use With Meaning|
|8 Important Idioms For Everyday Use|
|8 Useful Idioms For Casual Conversation|
|7 Useful Idioms For Good Day|
|9 Useful Idioms For Daily Routine|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!