9 Important Idioms For IELTS Speaking With Meaning
English Idioms for Ielts Speaking With Meaning, expressions and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For ESL Students idioms are frustrating to figure out, the reason being Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, ESL students must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at LillyPad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners run across comprehending the true meaning and accepted usage. This list of idioms for IELTS Speaking With Meaning makes learning painless, with common Ielts Speaking With Meaning idioms, definitions, and example sentences that clarify the meaning.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for IELTS Speaking With Meaning together.
Idioms for IELTS Speaking With Meaning with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Hive Of Activity
Definition and Meaning: Hive Of Activity
A “hive of activity” is a busy place where many people do something at once.
Hive Of Activity Example Sentences:
- Paris is a hive of activity all year round.
- The office was a hive of activity on Monday morning.
- It’s a hive of activity at the school grounds during the festival.
- My parent’s home is a hive of activity every Thanksgiving when my siblings all get together.
2. Make The Cut
Definition and Meaning: Make The Cut
The expression “make the cut” means to be selected under a set of criteria in a particular situation. It describes passing the requirement of something.
Make The Cut Example Sentences:
- I auditioned to be a member of the university choir, but I didn’t make the cut.
- He was accepted into the school, but he didn’t make the cut for the scholarship program.
- She made the cut for the job interview.
- It’s not easy to get on the list for this event. You have to make the cut.
3. Hit The Road
Definition and Meaning: Hit The Road
The expression “hit the road” means to travel or set on a journey.
Hit The Road Example Sentences:
- I’m going to hit the road to my hometown next week.
- We have to hit the road early due to a storm.
- Let’s hit the road now if we don’t want to be late.
- The family will hit the road to Disneyland for their kids.
4. It’s A Piece Of Cake
Definition and Meaning: It’s A Piece Of Cake
The expression “it’s a piece of cake” means something is easy to do or accomplish.
It’s A Piece Of Cake Example Sentences:
- I thought learning how to swim was difficult, but it was a piece of cake.
- When you exercise daily, it’s a piece of cake to keep fit.
- It’s a piece of cake for him to get up early every morning — he’s a morning person.
5. Change Of Heart
Definition and Meaning: Change Of Heart
The idiom “change of heart” means to change your mind about something.
Change Of Heart Example Sentences:
- He had a change of heart and decided to go with her instead of me.
- I didn’t think she would have a change of heart, but she did.
- She had a change of heart going out for dinner.
- They cancelled the trip due to their friend’s change of heart.
6. Once In A Blue Moon
Definition and Meaning: Once In A Blue Moon
When something happens “once in a blue moon,“ it means that it is very rare.
Once In A Blue Moon Example Sentences:
- Ever since she went away, it’s once in a blue moon that she calls me on my cell phone.
- He sends me a letter once in a blue moon.
- They travel once in a blue moon.
- Once in a blue moon, you can find a good deal at the shop’s online store.
7. Bag Of Tricks
Definition and Meaning: Bag Of Tricks
The expression “bag of tricks” means a set of tools, knowledge, talents, or abilities to complete a task successfully. It is a metaphor for a person with many skills or talents.
Bag Of Tricks Example Sentences:
- He’s got a back of tricks as a manager.
- If you need help, approach her because she’s got a bag of tricks.
- Never stop learning to have a bag of tricks in any situation.
- A man with a bag of tricks will always find a way out of trouble.
8. Under The Weather
Definition and Meaning: Under The Weather
The phrase “under the weather” is used to describe someone who is feeling sick or not well.
Under The Weather Example Sentences:
- I’m feeling a bit under the weather today.
- I’m sorry I’m not up for going out tonight, I’m really under the weather.
- I’m afraid I won’t be able to make it to your party tomorrow, I’m still feeling a bit under the weather.
- I hope I’m not coming down with something, I’ve been feeling a bit under the weather for the past few days.
9. Bite One’s Tongue
Definition and Meaning: Bite One’s Tongue
The idiomatic phrase “bite one’s tongue” means to keep silent or refrain from speaking.
Bite One’s Tongue Example Sentences:
- He bit his tongue when he realized that she was right.
- I bite my tongue when I know my mother is angry.
- Sometimes, it’s safer to bite your tongue when you’re not in a good mood.
- She will bite her tongue to avoid trouble.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage and definitions?
|Helpful Idioms For Esl Learners|
|Common Idioms For Esl|
|Useful Idioms For English Language Learners|
|Top Idioms For Business English|
|Common Idioms For Esl Students|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Valentina has always been a teacher at heart. After spending eight years teaching college-level English, she realised that her true passion was helping people learn and grow – especially when it came to learning English. She firmly believes that in order for language learning to be successful, it’s important to create a comfortable and welcoming environment where students feel safe to experiment and take risks. When she’s not writing for the Lillypad community, Valentina loves travelling, reading and going for long walks with her dog Freddy.