6 Top Idioms For Independence Day
English Idioms for Independence Day, expressions, and proverbs are an essential part of the English language, both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For English Language Students idioms for Independence Day are difficult to get one’s head around, the reason being Idioms don’t make objective sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, students learning English must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners content with comprehending the true meaning and appropriate usage. This list of idioms for Independence Day makes learning trouble-free, with common Independence Day idioms, definitions, and example sentences that make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Independence Day together.
Idioms for Independence Day with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Free Rein
Definition and Meaning: Free Rein
The expression “free rein” means the freedom to do or say whatever you want.
Free Rein Example Sentences:
- Elise is giving me free rein on the article I’m writing.
- They’ve given Melanie free rein on the mural they’ve commissioned.
- As kids, we weren’t given free rein to learn from our mistakes.
- Should we grant the architect free rein to plan the house?
- You shouldn’t have given the team free rein on recruitment.
2. The World Is Someone’s Oyster
Definition and Meaning: The World Is Someone’s Oyster
This expression “the world is someone’s oyster” means someone can do what they want or go where they want.
The World Is Someone’s Oyster Example Sentences:
- You’re young and single – the world is your oyster!
- I wish I could go back to the time when the world was my oyster.
- The world is your oyster, so you have a lot of options now.
- Take advantage of this period. The world won’t be your oyster forever.
- Leave her be, the world is her oyster so she can do whatever she wants.
3. Paddle One’s Own Canoe
Definition and Meaning: Paddle One’s Own Canoe
The expression “paddle one’s own canoe” means that someone is independent and doesn’t need help or intervention.
Paddle One’s Own Canoe Example Sentences:
- Kira has always been someone who paddles her own canoe.
- I’m proud that my son paddles his own canoe. I couldn’t.
- Rooney paddled his own canoe and was shunned for it.
- People who paddled their own canoe in high school had a rough time.
- You can’t do what other people tell you to. Paddle your own canoe.
4. Clip One’s Wings
Definition and Meaning: Clip One’s Wings
This expression “clip one’s wings” means to restrain or limit someone’s freedom.
Clip One’s Wings Example Sentences:
- I don’t want to see you with someone who clips your wings.
- That company clipped my wings so I had to leave.
- Did they think they can clip my wings that easily?
- Her marriage clipped her wings, which is why she left her husband.
- If you think you can clip my wings, you got another thing coming.
5. No Holds Barred
Definition and Meaning: No Holds Barred
The expression “no holds barred” means to have no limits or controls.
No Holds Barred Example Sentences:
- This was a no holds barred documentary. It’s so powerful.
- She answered the interview questions with no holds barred.
- A no holds barred conference is something you can expect from her.
- This game is played with no holds barred. You might need to play dirty.
- She’s well known for her comedy. All her specials are with no hold barred.
6. Be One’s Own Master
Definition and Meaning: Be One’s Own Master
The expression means to be independent and make decisions by oneself.
Be One’s Own Master Example Sentences:
- Yuki is her own master. You can’t tell her what to do.
- She opened a restaurant because she wants to be her own master.
- I wonder what it feels like to be my own master.
- They don’t listen to unsolicited advice. They’re their own masters.
- He has been his own master since he was a child.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage, and definitions?
|Idioms For Valentines Day|
|Idioms For Thanksgiving|
|Idioms For Party|
|Idioms For Having Fun|
|Idioms For Happy Mood|
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
William is a professional English and ESL teacher with over 15 years of experience. He has taught students of all ages, from children to business executives, and has worked with ESL learners from all over the globe. With a degree in English Education, William has developed curriculum for learners of all levels and interests. He is passionate about helping people learn English effectively and shares his knowledge with the LillyPad community. When he’s not teaching or writing, William enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children.