English Idioms for Loved Ones, expressions, and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For ESL Students idioms are difficult to conceptualize, the reason being Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Loved Ones, ESL students must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners run up against comprehending the true meaning and correct usage. This list of idioms for Loved Ones makes learning easygoing, with common Loved Ones idioms, definitions, and example sentences that make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Loved Ones together.
Idioms for Loved Ones with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. To The Moon And Back
Definition and Meaning: To The Moon And Back
The expression “to the moon and back” is used to describe how much someone loves someone else.
To The Moon And Back Example Sentences:
- I love my daughter to the moon and back.
- I would do anything for my best friend, even go to the moon and back.
- I would go to the moon and back for a chance to see my favorite band live.
- I would travel to the moon and back if it meant I could be with you.
- I would go to the moon and back to make sure my family is safe and happy.
2. Apple Of One’s Eye
Definition and Meaning: Apple Of One’s Eye
This expression is used to call someone that one cherishes or values the most.
Apple Of One’s Eye Example Sentences:
- I don’t need a lover. Food is the apple of my eye.
- You’re the apple of my eye. Yes, I said it.
- Robert is the apple of Katy’s eye.
- Was that the apple of his eye? I can see why.
- I’ll never do that to you. You’re the apple of my eye, don’t you know?
3. Go The Extra Mile
Definition and Meaning: Go The Extra Mile
The expression “go the extra mile” means to do more than what’s necessary or expected.
Go The Extra Mile Example Sentences:
- I won’t go the extra mile for anyone but you.
- She has always gone the extra mile for their relationship.
- He doesn’t deserve it. You don’t need to go the extra mile for him.
- I appreciate how you always go the extra mile for me. I notice.
- He wishes for once that she’ll go the extra mile for their home.
4. Head Over Heels
Definition and Meaning: Head Over Heels
The expression means to fall madly in love with someone.
Head Over Heels Example Sentences:
- He’s head over heels for her, it’s sweet.
- Ten years later and I’m still head over heels for you.
- The moment I talked to her, I was head over heels.
- I want to know what it feels like to have someone be head over heels for me.
- I haven’t been head over heels for someone until I met him.
5. Get Cold Feet
Definition and Meaning: Get Cold Feet
The expression “get cold feet” means to suddenly become too scared to go through with an important plan.
Get Cold Feet Example Sentences:
- Have you ever gotten cold feet before moving in together?
- I don’t want to get cold feet on my wedding day.
- Elaine got cold feet about giving Jim a key to her place.
- What should I do? I think I’m getting cold feet.
- You have to be sure about this so you don’t get cold feet.
6. Take The Plunge
Definition and Meaning: Take The Plunge
The expression “take the plunge” to decide on something after thinking about it for a long time.
Take The Plunge Example Sentences:
- Mavis took the plunge and married her.
- A few years passed before he finally took the plunge.
- It’s hard to believe that my uncle took the plunge. Good for him.
- Come on, honey. What are you waiting for? Take the plunge.
7. A Match Made In Heaven
Definition and Meaning: A Match Made In Heaven
The expression “a match made in heaven” is a way of describing a well-suited pairing of people or things
A Match Made In Heaven Example Sentences:
- They’re a match made in heaven!
- Their partnership is a match made in heaven.
- When they opened up a business, it was a match made in heaven.
8. Take Someone’s Breath Away
Definition and Meaning: Take Someone’s Breath Away
The expression “take someone’s breath away” describes the feeling when you meet someone who is very impressive or someone with extreme beauty or attractiveness.
Take Someone’s Breath Away Example Sentences:
- It rarely happens but he took my breath away.
- Are you waiting for someone to take your breath away? Good luck!
- I already liked him but after an hour of conversation, he took my breath away.
- She definitely took the interview panel’s breath away.
9. Heart And Soul
Definition and Meaning: Heart And Soul
The phrase “heart and soul” is used to describe someone who is very passionate about something.
Heart And Soul Example Sentences:
- She put her heart and soul into her work, and it showed in the results.
- He was devoted to his family with all his heart and soul.
- She sang the song with heart and soul, and the audience was moved.
- He was a passionate artist who put his heart and soul into his paintings.
- She was determined to succeed and gave it her all with heart and soul.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage and meanings?
|12 Useful Idioms For Clothes|
|10 Everyday Idioms For Drinking|
|10 Best Idioms For Hobbies|
|2 Important Idioms For Being The Best|
|10 Best Idioms For A Long Time|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!