English Idioms for Madness, expressions and proverbs are an essential part of the English language, both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For English Language Students idioms for Madness are frustrating to conceptualize, the reason being Idioms don’t make common sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Madness, students studying English must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners struggle with comprehending the true meaning and accepted usage. This list of idioms for Madness makes learning trouble – free, with common Madness idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Madness together.
Idioms for Madness with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Lost Her Marbles
Definition and Meaning: Lost Her Marbles
The expression “lost her marbles” is used to describe someone who has become irrational or crazy.
Lost Her Marbles Example Sentences:
- After her grandmother’s death, she seemed to have lost her marbles and was unable to make any decisions.
- She was so angry that she started screaming and throwing things around, like she had lost her marbles.
- She’s lost her marbles if she thinks she can get away with that.
- My mother lost her marbles when she saw the broken antique vase.
- The teacher lost his marbles due to 90% of his students failing the test.
2. Away With The Fairies
Definition and Meaning: Away With The Fairies
This phrase is used to describe someone whose mind seems to be somewhere else entirely. They may appear to be slightly crazy. The meaning of this phrase comes from the old fairy tales where fairies would take people away with them, usually into a magical world that is not real.
Away With The Fairies Example Sentences:
- She’s away with the fairies and daydreaming of passing the exam without studying.
- I don’t know why she’s been staring at the wall for an hour. She might be away with the fairies.
- This is not the reality, you seem to be away with the fairies.
- You can try explaining the situation to him even when he looks like he’s away with the fairies.
3. A Few Cards Short Of A Deck
Definition and Meaning: A Few Cards Short Of A Deck
This expression has a negative connotation. It means that a person is not very smart.
A Few Cards Short Of A Deck Example Sentences:
- He’s a few cards short of a deck if he thinks he can fix the car without any tools.
- She’s a few cards short of a deck if she thinks she can win the race without any practice.
- She’s a few cards short of a deck if she thinks there’s no consequence to her action.
- How do you know that he’s a few cards short of a deck?
- They disarranged the items in the grocery just for fun and inconvenienced the workers. They must be a few cards short of a deck.
4. Basket Case
Definition and Meaning: Basket Case
A basket case is when someone is helpless or unable to deal with things or becomes anxious in an agitated state or stressful situation.
Basket Case Example Sentences:
- She is mostly calm but when you stress her out, she can be a basket case.
- The strong earthquake made me act like a basket case. I almost didn’t get out of the building because I was panicking.
- He’s a basket case due to the issues he cannot seem to solve.
- He only acted like a basket case because his pet cat died.
5. Missing A Few Screws
Definition and Meaning: Missing A Few Screws
The expression “missing a few screws” is often used to describe someone who appears silly and not mentally stable.
Missing A Few Screws Example Sentences:
- He’s been acting strange lately, I think he’s missing a few screws
- She’s always making irrational decisions, she must be missing a few screws.
- He jumped in the pool while wearing his tuxedo. I don’t know if he’s missing a few screws.
- Why would I sell my house at 30% less than its market value? I’m not missing a few screws to do that.
- She felt like she’s missing a few screws after discovering that she was scammed.
6. A Few Sandwiches Short Of A Picnic
Definition and Meaning: A Few Sandwiches Short Of A Picnic
This expression is used to describe someone who is not very smart.
A Few Sandwiches Short Of A Picnic Example Sentences:
- He’s a few sandwiches short of a picnic if he thinks he can fix the problem himself.
- She’s a few sandwiches short of a picnic if she thinks she can do the heavy lifting all by herself.
- Why open the can using a knife when we have a can opener? Are you a few sandwiches short of a picnic?
- They thought he’s a few sandwiches short of a picnic using a calculator to add. But he just wanted to make sure he gave the correct answer.
- Our neighbor is a few sandwiches short of a picnic for screaming into the void at midnight.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage and meanings?
|10 Common Idioms For Anger|
|10 Important Idioms For Love|
|10 Helpful Idioms For Emotions|
|9 Important Idioms For Shock|
|8 Everyday Idioms For Feeling Sick|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!