7 Important Idioms For Narrative Writing
English Idioms for Narrative Writing, expressions and proverbs are an important part of the English language. Both spoken and written English is filled with them.
For people learning English idioms for Narrative Writing are hard to interpret, the reason being, Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, English learners must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners come across in comprehending the true meaning and suitable usage. This list of idioms for Narrative Writing makes learning easy as ABC, with common Narrative Writing idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice. Bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let’s learn about idioms for Narrative Writing together.
Idioms for Narrative Writing with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Once Upon A Time
Definition and Meaning: Once Upon A Time
The expression “once upon a time” is used to describe a time in the past that was very different from the present.
Once Upon A Time Example Sentences:
- Once upon a time, there was a brave knight who set out on a quest to save a princess
- Once upon a time, there was a small village that was terrorized by a dragon
- Once upon a time, there was a poor farmer who found a magical beanstalk that led to a giant’s castle
- Once upon a time, there was a beautiful mermaid who fell in love with a human prince
- Once upon a time, there was a wise old wizard who granted three wishes to a young boy
2. Long Ago
Definition and Meaning: Long Ago
Long ago” is an expression that means “in the past.
Long Ago Example Sentences:
- Long ago, people used to travel by horse and carriage
- Long ago, the world was a much simpler place
- Long ago, the only way to communicate was by letter
- Long ago, the only way to get news was through the newspaper
- Long ago, people believed the world was flat
3. In The Days Of Yore
Definition and Meaning: In The Days Of Yore
The expression “in the days of yore” is used to refer to a time in the past that was considered to be more romantic or idealistic.
In The Days Of Yore Example Sentences:
- In the days of yore, knights in shining armour would ride off to battle on their noble steeds
- In the days of yore, people would gather around the fire to tell stories and sing songs
- In the days of yore, kings and queens ruled with an iron fist
- In the days of yore, people would travel by horse and carriage
- In the days of yore, people would barter goods and services instead of using money
4. In The Heat Of The Moment
Definition and Meaning: In The Heat Of The Moment
The phrase “in the heat of the moment” is used to describe a situation where someone does something without thinking about it first, usually because they are angry, upset, or excited.
In The Heat Of The Moment Example Sentences:
- I said some things I didn’t mean in the heat of the moment
- She made a rash decision in the heat of the moment
- He acted without thinking in the heat of the moment
- I regret my actions in the heat of the moment
- He made a promise he couldn’t keep in the heat of the moment
5. On The Edge
Definition and Meaning: On The Edge
The expression “on the edge” can mean different things depending on the context.
On The Edge Example Sentences:
- She was on the edge of her seat during the entire movie
- He was on the edge of tears when he heard the news
- She was on the edge of losing her temper when her boss criticized her
- He was on the edge of bankruptcy and had to make some tough decisions
- She was on the edge of a breakdown after working so hard for so long
6. In The Nick Of Time
Definition and Meaning: In The Nick Of Time
The expression “in the nick of time” means that something happened just in time, or at the last possible moment.
In The Nick Of Time Example Sentences:
- I arrived at the airport just in the nick of time to catch my flight
- I finished my project in the nick of time before the deadline
- I managed to finish my presentation in the nick of time before the meeting
- I was able to get to the hospital in the nick of time to see my grandmother before she passed away
- I was able to get to the store in the nick of time to buy the last item I needed for my recipe
7. To Be Continued
Definition and Meaning: To Be Continued
It means that the story is not over yet and that there will be more to come.
To Be Continued Example Sentences:
- The story of the brave knight and the dragon was full of suspense and excitement, but the ending was left to be continued..
- The debate between the two candidates was heated, but the final verdict was to be continued..
- The mystery of the missing jewels was intriguing, but the solution was to be continued..
- The journey of the explorer was full of danger and adventure, but the final destination was to be continued..
- The search for the lost city was long and arduous, but the outcome was to be continued..
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage and definitions?
|Top Idioms For Article Writing|
|Everyday Idioms For Argumentative Essay|
|Best Idioms For Essay Writing|
|Best Idioms For Creative Writing|
|Everyday Idioms For Writing Formal Letter|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!
Valentina has always been a teacher at heart. After spending eight years teaching college-level English, she realised that her true passion was helping people learn and grow – especially when it came to learning English. She firmly believes that in order for language learning to be successful, it's important to create a comfortable and welcoming environment where students feel safe to experiment and take risks. When she's not writing for the Lillypad community, Valentina loves travelling, reading and going for long walks with her dog Freddy.
Improve your English Faster with Lilly!
An Artificial Intelligent Tutor!
How long will it take you to improve your English?
Design, write and practice your own phrases or learn 3,500+ premade English phrases with Lilly!