English Idioms for People use expressions and proverbs that are an essential part of the English language. Both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For English Learners, idioms are difficult to understand, the reason being; Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for People, students studying English must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday use.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners run into comprehending the true meaning and suitable usage. This list of idioms for People makes learning simple, with common People idioms, definitions, and example sentences that clarify the meaning.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice. Bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let’s learn about idioms for People together.
Idioms for People with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Actions Speak Louder Than Words
Definition and Meaning: Actions Speak Louder Than Words
The expression “actions speak louder than words” means that it is better to do something than to just say that you will do it.
Actions Speak Louder Than Words Example Sentences:
- Actions speak louder than words when it comes to proving your love
- Actions speak louder than words, you should have been there
- I believe that actions speak louder than words
2. A Watched Pot Never Boils
Definition and Meaning: A Watched Pot Never Boils
The expression “a watched pot never boils” means that if you are constantly watching something, it will never happen.
A Watched Pot Never Boils Example Sentences:
- I’ve been waiting for the water to boil for ages! It feels like a watched pot never boils
- Remember, a watched pot never boils
- Be patient! A watched pot never boils
3. A Woman Scorned
Definition and Meaning: A Woman Scorned
The expression means that a woman who has been rejected or mistreated by a man will be very angry and will take revenge.
A Woman Scorned Example Sentences:
- Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
- Watch your back for a woman scorned
- A woman scorned is a curse, not a blessing
4. It Takes Two To Tango
Definition and Meaning: It Takes Two To Tango
The expression “It takes two to tango” means that it takes two people to do something together, especially something that requires cooperation or coordination.
It Takes Two To Tango Example Sentences:
- They’ve been fighting for weeks now, and it takes two to tango
- I tried to talk to her about the situation, but it takes two to tango
- I know you’re upset, but it takes two to tango
- This isn’t a one-sided problem, it takes two to tango
- If you want to fix this relationship, it takes two to tango
5. That’ll Be The Day
Definition and Meaning: That’ll Be The Day
The expression “that’ll be the day” is used to express disbelief or doubt.
That’ll Be The Day Example Sentences:
- I can’t believe she said she’s going to quit her job – that’ll be the day!
- He’s never going to clean up his room – that’ll be the day!
- I don’t think she’s ever going to apologize – that’ll be the day!
- I highly doubt he’ll ever pass his driving test – that’ll be the day!
- I’ll be surprised if she ever finishes that project – that’ll be the day!
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage and meanings?
|9 Helpful Idioms For Girlfriend|
|8 Common Idioms For Kind Hearted|
|2 Important Idioms For Hard Working Person|
|10 Best Idioms For Boyfriend|
|7 Helpful Idioms For Friends|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!