English Idioms for Places, expressions, and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For English Learners idioms are hard to understand, the reason being Idioms don’t make common sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, students studying English must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners confront comprehending the true meaning and suitable usage. This idioms list of Places makes learning straightforward, with common Places idioms, definitions, and example sentences that make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Places together.
Idioms for Places with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Clean As A Whistle
Definition and Meaning: Clean As A Whistle
The expression means something is immaculate or someone is incorruptible.
Clean As A Whistle Example Sentences:
- I didn’t expect it for the price, but the hotel room was as clean as a whistle.
- The city was as clean as a whistle when Sir Tyrese was the mayor.
- There are few cops that are clean as a whistle.
- It’s not the clean-as-a-whistle resort that we used to know.
- She is as clean as a whistle, that’s why she can command such respect.
2. Been Through The War
Definition and Meaning: Been Through The War
The expression “been through the war” is used to describe a place that has a lot of damage or is very rundown.
Been Through The War Example Sentences:
- I can’t believe they charge rent that high! This place looks like it had been through the war.
- If I look at your bedroom and it’s like it’s been through the war one more time, Alex.
- This wardrobe isn’t antique. It’s been through the war!
- The entire neighborhood looked like it had been through the war.
- I wasn’t expecting this! My living room looked like it had been through the war yesterday.
3. Second To None
Definition and Meaning: Second To None
The expression “second to none” means the best.
Second To None Example Sentences:
- Their pizza here is second to none.
- His skills at pottery are second to none that’s why his creations are expensive.
- Even though their food is second to none, it’s surprisingly affordable.
- The school is second to none with there zero-bullying policy.
- My city is second to none with its welfare programs for veterans.
4. Middle Of Nowhere
Definition and Meaning: Middle Of Nowhere
The expression “middle of nowhere” means a very remote location, far from residents or urban life.
Middle Of Nowhere Example Sentences:
- You said the best resort this side of Cebu. This is the middle of nowhere!
- Look, we’re in the middle of nowhere. Where will we find a store?
- It’s midnight in the middle of nowhere. We should wait for tomorrow.
- I’m in the middle of nowhere. Can someone please get me?
- Their house is in the middle of nowhere. I’m surprised we even found it.
5. Hive Of Activity
Definition and Meaning: Hive Of Activity
The expression “hive of activity” means a place that’s busy or where a lot is happening.
Hive Of Activity Example Sentences:
- It doesn’t look much during the day, but it’s a hive of activity at night.
- The mall is a hive of activity during weekends. Can we go on a weekday?
- I was looking for you but the convention center was a hive of activity at that point.
- This place is a hive of activity in the summer. It looks dead now.
- I don’t want to go to a hive of activity on my last night in Japan.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage, and meanings?
|8 Important Idioms For Everyday Use|
|8 Everyday Idioms For Daily Conversation|
|8 Top Idioms For Cold Weather|
|7 Useful Idioms For Good Day|
|8 Best Idioms For Good Night|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!