4 Useful Idioms For Poor
English Idioms for Poor, expressions and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For ESL Students idioms for Poor are hard to comprehend, the reason being Idioms don’t make objective sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Poor, students studying English must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners content with comprehending the true meaning and proper usage. This list of idioms for Poor makes learning trouble – free, with common Poor idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Poor together.
Idioms for Poor with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. As Poor As A Church Mouse
Definition and Meaning: As Poor As
The expression “as poor as” is used to describe someone who is very poor.
As Poor As Example Sentences:
- She was as poor as a church mouse when she first arrived in the city.
- He was as poor as a church mouse but he never gave up hope.
- His family was as poor as a church mouse but they were always happy.
- Melinda was as poor as a church mouse, but she never complained.
- Tommy was as poor as a church mouse but he was determined to make something of himself.
2. A Poor Excuse For A (Type Of Person Or Thing)
Definition and Meaning: A Poor Excuse For A (Type Of Person Or Thing)
The phrase “a poor excuse for a (type of person or thing)” means an inadequate representative or representation.
A Poor Excuse For A (Type Of Person Or Thing) Example Sentences:
- What I’m holding is a poor excuse for a final essay.
- He was a poor excuse for a doctor so we found a new one.
- This is nothing but a poor excuse for leverage.
- Even I could see that it was a poor excuse for an apology.
- She was a poor excuse for a manager. Everyone here knows it.
3. A Poor Craftsman Blames His Tools
Definition and Meaning: A Poor Craftsman Blames His Tools
This phrase means that someone who is unsuccessful in his work or creation blames other factors and doesn’t take accountability for the failure.
A Poor Craftsman Blames His Tools Example Sentences:
- I don’t always believe in “a poor craftsman blames his tools.” But one should try working with the best tools to begin with to prevent any opportunity for blame.
- They blamed the weather for the hiccup. Like I always say, a poor craftsman blames his tools.
- Percy is nice if the end result is good. But when he messes up, we get the “a poor craftsman blames his tools” type of situation.
- You know Giang, a poor craftsman blames his tools. I expected more from you.
- A poor craftsman blames his tools, as they say. But Alden has a point. He couldn’t afford high-quality paper, so it creased during the painting process.
4. Make A Poor Showing
Definition and Meaning: Make A Poor Showing
The phrase “make a poor showing” means to fail at what someone does, such as a job or role.
Make A Poor Showing Example Sentences:
- Rica made a poor showing in her first year at the office. But look at her now.
- We had high hopes, but our team made a poor showing in the first round.
- It doesn’t matter if you made a poor showing yesterday. Today is a new day.
- He always makes a poor showing of his concern for his children.
- Wally made a poor showing of the glazing process the other day.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage, and definitions?
|Idioms For Conclusion|
|Idioms For Experience|
|Idioms For Hardwork|
|Idioms For Bad Experience|
|Idioms For Dying|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
William is a professional English and ESL teacher with over 15 years of experience. He has taught students of all ages, from children to business executives, and has worked with ESL learners from all over the globe. With a degree in English Education, William has developed curriculum for learners of all levels and interests. He is passionate about helping people learn English effectively and shares his knowledge with the LillyPad community. When he’s not teaching or writing, William enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children.