4 Everyday Idioms For Quiet
English Idioms for Quiet, expressions, and proverbs are an essential part of the English language, both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For English Learners idioms for Quiet are frustrating to learn, the reason being Idioms don’t make common sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Quiet, English learners must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners run into comprehending the true meaning and fitting usage. This list of idioms for Quiet makes learning easy, with common Quiet idioms, definitions, and example sentences that make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Quiet together.
Idioms for Quiet with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Keep It Down
Definition and Meaning: Keep It Down
This expression is typically used to tell someone to be quiet because they are being too loud.
Keep It Down Example Sentences:
- Hey, keep it down in there! I’m trying to take a nap!
- I know you’re excited, but please keep it down so we don’t disturb the neighbors.
- Can you guys keep it down?
- I know you’re having fun, but keep it down or you’ll wake up the baby.
- We don’t want to get in trouble, so keep it down while we sneak out of the house.
2. Put A Sock In It!
Definition and Meaning: Put A Sock In It!
This expression is used in a humorous way to tell someone to stop making so much noise or to be quiet.
Put A Sock In It! Example Sentences:
- My boss is on the phone. Put a sock in it!
- Can you put a sock in it? I don’t have time for your jokes today.
- Put a sock in it, will you? We’re in church.
- Tell the kids to put a sock in it. I’m working.
- Put a sock in it, you guys! I can’t hear the speech.
3. Between You And Me
Definition and Meaning: Between You And Me
“Between you and me” is used when you want the person you’re talking to not to tell anyone about your conversation.
Between You And Me Example Sentences:
- Between you and me, no one in the office actually likes her.
- What I’m about to tell you must remain between you and me.
- This is just between you and me, but I don’t like Gerald’s proposal.
- Between you and me, the sequel was greenlit last month and it’s in the works.
- There’s a surprise party for Mickey in the break room. This is between you and me.
4. You Could Hear A Pin Drop
Definition and Meaning: You Could Hear A Pin Drop
The idiom “you could hear a pin drop” is used to describe when a place is so quiet you can hear even the slightest noise.
You Could Hear A Pin Drop Example Sentences:
- Everytime the boss is around, you could hear the pin drop at the office.
- They were all shocked at what he said that you could hear a pin drop in the auditorium.
- The audience was bracing for the shot and you could hear a pin drop in the court.
- The silence in the abandoned building was so thick you could hear a pin drop.
- You could hear a pin drop at our house everytime my mom is furious with me or my sister.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage, and definitions?
|Everyday Idioms For Love Of My Life|
|Top Idioms For Beautiful View|
|Useful Idioms For Clothes|
|Useful Idioms For Bad Experience|
|Helpful Idioms For A Crowded Place|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
William is a professional English and ESL teacher with over 15 years of experience. He has taught students of all ages, from children to business executives, and has worked with ESL learners from all over the globe. With a degree in English Education, William has developed curriculum for learners of all levels and interests. He is passionate about helping people learn English effectively and shares his knowledge with the LillyPad community. When he’s not teaching or writing, William enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children.