English Idioms for Special, expressions and proverbs are an important part of the English language. Both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For English Learners, idioms are frustrating to comprehend, the reason being; Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, ESL students must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners confront comprehending the true meaning and proper usage. This list of idioms for Special makes learning easygoing, with common Special idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice. Bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let’s learn about idioms for Special together.
Idioms for Special with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. To Sugarcoat
Definition and Meaning: To Sugarcoat
The expression “to sugarcoat” means to make something more palatable or acceptable by adding something sweet.
To Sugarcoat Example Sentences:
- She tried to sugarcoat the bad news, but it was still difficult to hear
- He was trying to sugarcoat the truth, but I could tell he was lying
- She was trying to sugarcoat the situation, but I could tell she was really upset
- He was trying to sugarcoat the facts, but I could tell he was hiding something
- She was trying to sugarcoat the reality of the situation, but it was still pretty grim
2. It Takes Two To Tango
Definition and Meaning: It Takes Two To Tango
The expression “It takes two to tango” means that it takes two people to do something together, especially something that requires cooperation or coordination.
It Takes Two To Tango Example Sentences:
- My parents are always arguing, but it takes two to tango – they both need to work on their communication skills
- I tried to apologize to my friend, but it takes two to tango – she needs to accept my apology too
- I know you’re mad at me, but it takes two to tango – we both need to talk it out and find a solution
- I’m not going to be the one to start the conversation, it takes two to tango – you need to make the first move
- I’m not going to be the one to apologize first, it takes two to tango – we both need to take responsibility for our actions
3. Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Definition and Meaning: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
The expression “let sleeping dogs lie” means to leave something alone that is better left alone.
Let Sleeping Dogs Lie Example Sentences:
- I know you’re tempted to bring up the argument you had with your brother, but I think it’s best to let sleeping dogs lie
- I heard about the scandal at the company, but I think it’s best to let sleeping dogs lie and not ask any questions
- I know you’re curious about what happened between your parents, but it’s best to let sleeping dogs lie and not bring it up
- I know you want to get revenge on your ex, but it’s best to let sleeping dogs lie and move on with your life
- I know you want to get involved in the dispute between your neighbours, but it’s best to let sleeping dogs lie and stay out of it
4. That’ll Be The Day
Definition and Meaning: That’ll Be The Day
The expression “that’ll be the day” is used to express disbelief or doubt.
That’ll Be The Day Example Sentences:
- I’ll be able to run a marathon in under two hours – that’ll be the day!
- My brother said he’ll clean his room without being asked – that’ll be the day!
- My cat said she’ll stop sleeping on my laptop – that’ll be the day!
- My friend said he’ll stop eating junk food – that’ll be the day!
- My sister said she’ll stop talking on the phone all night – that’ll be the day!
5. There’s No Time Like The Present
Definition and Meaning: There’s No Time Like The Present
The expression “there’s no time like the present” means that now is the best time to do something.
There’s No Time Like The Present Example Sentences:
- If you want to start a new business, there’s no time like the present!
- If you want to learn a new language, there’s no time like the present!
- If you want to take a vacation, there’s no time like the present!
- If you want to start a new hobby, there’s no time like the present!
- If you want to make a change in your life, there’s no time like the present!
6. You Can’t Have Your Cake And Eat It Too
Definition and Meaning: You Can’t Have Your Cake And Eat It Too
This expression means that you can’t have both things that you want, you can only have one or the other.
You Can’t Have Your Cake And Eat It Too Example Sentences:
- If you want to save money for a new car, you can’t have your cake and eat it too – you’ll have to give up going out to eat every weekend
- If you want to stay up late and get up early for work, you can’t have your cake and eat it too – you’ll have to sacrifice your sleep
- If you want to go on vacation and save money, you can’t have your cake and eat it too – you’ll have to choose one or the other
- If you want to buy a new house and keep your old one, you can’t have your cake and eat it too – you’ll have to make a decision
- If you want to have a successful career and spend time with your family, you can’t have your cake and eat it too – you’ll have to prioritize one over the other
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage and meanings?
|9 Useful Idioms For Amazing|
|7 Best Idioms For Heart Beating Fast|
|2 Helpful Idioms For A Crowded Place|
|4 Useful Idioms For Selfish|
|8 Useful Idioms For Helping|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!