English Idioms for Stories, expressions and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For ESL Students idioms for Stories are hard to make sense of, the reason being Idioms don’t make objective sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Stories, ESL students must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners struggle with comprehending the true meaning and proper usage. This list of idioms for Stories makes learning simple, with common Stories idioms, definitions, and example sentences that make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Stories together.
Idioms for Stories with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. As The Saying Goes
Definition and Meaning: As The Saying Goes
As the saying goes” is an expression that is used to introduce a proverb or saying.
As The Saying Goes Example Sentences:
- As the saying goes, “you can’t judge a book by its cover.”
- As the saying goes, “time heals all wounds.”
- As the saying goes, “you can’t please everyone.”
- As the saying goes, “there’s no such thing as a free lunch.”
- As the saying goes, “you can’t have your cake and eat it too.”
2. Once Upon A Time
Definition and Meaning: Once Upon A Time
The expression “once upon a time” is used to describe a time in the past that was very different from the present.
Once Upon A Time Example Sentences:
- Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess who lived in a castle.
- Once upon a time, there was a brave knight who fought against dragons.
- Once upon a time, there was a magical kingdom where everyone was happy.
- Once upon a time, there was a wicked witch who terrorized the land.
- Once upon a time, there was a poor farmer who worked hard every day.
3. Happy Ever After
Definition and Meaning: Happy Ever After
The expression “happy ever after” is often used to describe the end of a fairy tale, where the protagonists live happily together forever.
Happy Ever After Example Sentences:
- But sadly, not all stories have a happy ever after.
- I’m just hoping for a happy ever after for myself.
4. It’s All Fun And Games Until Someone Gets Hurt
Definition and Meaning: It’s All Fun And Games Until Someone Gets Hurt
It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt” is an idiom that means that people should be careful because they could get hurt if they’re not careful.
It’s All Fun And Games Until Someone Gets Hurt Example Sentences:
- It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt playing football.
- It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt playing tag.
- It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt playing hide and seek.
- It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt playing dodgeball.
- It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt playing Marco Polo.
5. There’s No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
Definition and Meaning: There’s No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
The expression “there’s no such thing as a free lunch” means that you can’t get something for nothing.
There’s No Such Thing As A Free Lunch Example Sentences:
- There’s no such thing as a free lunch.
- There’s no such thing as a free ride.
6. Don’t Put All Your Eggs In One Basket
Definition and Meaning: Don’t Put All Your Eggs In One Basket
This expression is often used to caution against putting all of one’s resources into a single venture.
Don’t Put All Your Eggs In One Basket Example Sentences:
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to investing.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to your career.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to your love life.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to your health.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to your happiness.
7. Be Careful What You Wish For
Definition and Meaning: Be Careful What You Wish For
This expression is often used to caution people that they may not be happy with the results of their actions if they are not careful.
Be Careful What You Wish For Example Sentences:
- She’s always talking about how she wants to be rich and famous, but she doesn’t realize that with wealth and fame comes a lot of responsibility and stress Be careful what you wish for!
- I know you’re upset about not getting the promotion, but trust me, the extra work and responsibility aren’t worth it Be careful what you wish for!
- He’s always complaining about how boring his life is, but if he got what he wanted and won the lottery, he’d have to deal with a lot of problems that come with having a lot of money Be careful what you wish for!
- She’s always talking about how she wants to be thinner, but she doesn’t realize that being thinner also means being less healthy Be careful what you wish for!
- I know you’re tired of your job, but if you quit without having another job lined up, you’ll just end up being unemployed and stressed out Be careful what you wish for!
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage, and definitions?
|9 Everyday Idioms For Loving Someone|
|2 Everyday Idioms For Being The Best|
|8 Useful Idioms For Fighting|
|8 Useful Idioms For Decision Making|
|7 Top Idioms For Affordable|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!