5 Top Idioms For Thanks
English Idioms for Thanks, expressions and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For ESL Students idioms for Thanks are difficult to conceptualize, the reason being Idioms don’t make common sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, ESL students must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners confront comprehending the true meaning and suitable usage. This list of idioms for Thanks makes learning easygoing, with common Thanks idioms, definitions, and example sentences which make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Thanks together.
Idioms for Thanks with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Thankful For Small Mercies
Definition and Meaning: Thankful For Small Mercies
This expression “Thankful For Small Mercies” means showing thanks for something that could’ve been worse.
Thankful For Small Mercies Example Sentences:
- At least her awful haircut doesn’t stand out so she’s thankful for small mercies.
- They weren’t badly hurt so they’re still thankful for small mercies.
- I’m thankful for small mercies as the fire could’ve easily gotten bigger.
- The flood didn’t reach the second floor so the family is thankful for small mercies.
2. Pay It Forward
Definition and Meaning: Pay It Forward
The expression “pay it forward” means extending the kindness one has experienced by being kind to others.
Pay It Forward Example Sentences:
- I promise to pay it forward once I get back on my feet.
- You don’t have to pay me back. Just pay it forward.
- Paying it forward is always the right thing to do.
- This city has been good to me so I want to pay it forward.
- I’m not a saint. I’m just paying it forward.
3. Thank Someone’s Lucky Stars
Definition and Meaning: Thank Your Lucky Stars
This expression means to be gracious and thankful for one’s good fortune or luck.
Thank Your Lucky Stars Example Sentences:
- I thank my lucky stars for the privileges I enjoy today.
- We didn’t spend anything on this vacation so we thank out lucky stars.
- You should thank your lucky stars that you didn’t get caught.
- Mr. Rogers, thank your lucky stars that you didn’t fail Math this semester.
- I thank my lucky stars for being able to finish school with good grades.
4. Be Thankful for Small Favors
Definition and Meaning: Be Thankful for Small Favors
The expression means to appreciate the little things (benefits, advantages, opportunities) that one receives especially in the face of unfortunate circumstances.
Be Thankful for Small Favors Example Sentences:
- We lost our house but the community gave us so much support so we’re thankful for small favors.
- I’m thankful for small favors. My neighbor, for example, keeps an eye on the house when I’m away.
- So many people have donated to her cancer fund so she’s so thankful for small favors.
- Of course, I’m thankful for small favors. Some of them even came from strangers.
5. A Debt Of Gratitude
Definition and Meaning: A Debt Of Gratitude
A debt of gratitude is the appreciation, thankfulness, or loyalty one should give to the person who has helped them.
A Debt Of Gratitude Example Sentences:
- I owe you a debt of gratitude for pushing me into becoming the artist I am today.
- We owe them a debt of gratitude for always being there when we need them.
- My cousins help us even when we don’t ask for it so we owe them a debt of gratitude.
- Expecting a debt of gratitude is actually a selfish motivation for helping someone.
- When I help someone in need, I don’t expect them to show a debt of gratitude.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, correct usage, and meanings?
|Top Idioms For Getting Better|
|Everyday Idioms For Making A Bad Situation Worse|
|Top Idioms For Practice|
|Common Idioms For Help|
|Top Idioms For Missing Friends|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Valentina has always been a teacher at heart. After spending eight years teaching college-level English, she realised that her true passion was helping people learn and grow – especially when it came to learning English. She firmly believes that in order for language learning to be successful, it’s important to create a comfortable and welcoming environment where students feel safe to experiment and take risks. When she’s not writing for the Lillypad community, Valentina loves travelling, reading and going for long walks with her dog Freddy.