English Idioms for Use, expressions, and proverbs are an essential part of the English language, both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For English Language Students idioms for Use are frustrating to comprehend, the reason being Idioms don’t make objective sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, English learners must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners encounter comprehending the true meaning and appropriate usage. This idioms list of Use makes learning easy, with common Use idioms, definitions, and example sentences that make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Use together.
Idioms for Use with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. A Port In A Storm
Definition and Meaning: A Port In A Storm
The expression means a place or person that people go to for help.
A Port In A Storm Example Sentences:
- She’s a port in a storm and has rescued me more times than I can count.
- He clung to the rope as though it was a port in a storm.
- This might represent a port in a storm but it’s a short-term fix.
- It’s not easy to find a port in a storm in this neighborhood.
- I’m sure you’re capable, but I’m here if you need a port in a storm.
2. Be Of Service (To Someone)
Definition and Meaning: Be Of Service (To Someone)
The expression means to help someone.
Be Of Service (To Someone) Example Sentences:
- Wigen just wanted to be of service to the group.
- They try to be of service to the needy in their city.
- Good morning, ladies. How can we be of service to you?
- Harlan wanted to be of service to stray animals so he volunteered.
- Quentin was looking for a professional to be of service to his daughter.
3. The Last Straw
Definition and Meaning: The Last Straw
The expression “the last straw” is used to describe a situation where someone has had enough and can’t take anymore.
The Last Straw Example Sentences:
- After my boss yelled at me for the third time this week, the last straw was when he made me stay late to finish a project.
- After months of dealing with my roommate’s messiness, the last straw was when I found mold growing in the kitchen.
- After my car broke down for the third time this year, the last straw was when I had to pay for a costly repair.
- After my partner’s constant criticism, the last straw was when they belittled me in front of my friends.
- After my child’s poor grades, the last straw was when they were suspended from school.
4. Come In Handy
Definition and Meaning: Come In Handy
This expression is often used to describe things that are useful when needed.
Come In Handy Example Sentences:
- I’m sure her skills in modern dance will come in handy later.
- His Korean language skills will come in handy during our trip.
- Proficiency in gymnastics isn’t necessary but it may come in handy.
- Her unused gardening tools came in handy during the crisis.
- I’ll bring extra batteries. They may come in handy later.
5. Cup Of Tea
Definition and Meaning: Cup Of Tea
The expression “cup of tea” is a metaphor for something that is enjoyable or relaxing.
Cup Of Tea Example Sentences:
- I’m not a fan of horror movies, so they’re not really my cup of tea.
- I’m not sure if I’m ready to take on this project, it’s not really my cup of tea.
- I’m not sure if I’m the right person for the job, it’s not really my cup of tea.
- I’m not sure if I’m the best person for the job, it’s not really my cup of tea.
- I’m not sure if I’m the right fit for the job, it’s not really my cup of tea.
6. Hits The Spot
Definition and Meaning: Hits The Spot
This expression means that something is exactly what you wanted or needed.
Hits The Spot Example Sentences:
- After a long day of work, a cold beer really hits the spot.
7. Do Someone A Solid
Definition and Meaning: Do Someone A Solid
This expression means to be kind or helpful to someone or to do somebody an unexpected favor.
Do Someone A Solid Example Sentences:
- Gray did me a solid when I brought my phone there for repairs.
- Can you do me a solid and run to the market?
- Thanks for doing me a solid today.
- Their staff did me a solid when I entered with an emergency.
- Let me do you a solid and upsize that for free.
8. Make (Oneself) Useful
Definition and Meaning: Make (Oneself) Useful
This expression is often used to express doing something that can actively help or assist others.
Make (Oneself) Useful Example Sentences:
- I like Ryan because he makes himself useful without being told.
- Tell your sister to make herself useful and take out the trash.
- How exactly did Corbin make himself useful during the blackout?
- Kyle made himself useful by compiling the documents we needed.
- She tried to make herself useful but there really isn’t anything left to do.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage, and definitions?
|5 Everyday Idioms For Giving Advice|
|2 Top Idioms For A Song|
|6 Useful Idioms For Ending Something|
|7 Useful Idioms For Failure|
|8 Best Idioms For Losing Patience|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!