6 Best Idioms For Useful
English Idioms for Useful, expressions and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English is filled with them.
For people learning English idioms for Useful are frustrating to figure out, the reason being Idioms don’t make objective sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Useful, ELL students must study and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners struggle with comprehending the true meaning and suitable usage. This list of idioms for Useful makes learning easygoing, with common Useful idioms, definitions, and example sentences that make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Useful together.
Idioms for Useful with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. Come In Handy
Definition and Meaning: Come In Handy
This expression is often used to describe things that are useful when needed.
Come In Handy Example Sentences:
- Your photoshop skills will come in handy in this job.
- His Spanish language skills will come in handy during the trip.
- It’s not necessary but it may come in handy.
- Her unused gardening tools came in handy during the crisis.
- I’ll bring extra batteries. They may come in handy later.
2. Make (Oneself) Useful
Definition and Meaning: Make (Oneself) Useful
This expression is often used to express doing something that can actively help or assist others.
Make (Oneself) Useful Example Sentences:
- I like Elijah because he makes himself useful without being told.
- You could make yourself useful and take out the trash.
- How exactly did she make herself useful during the lockdown?
- I made myself useful by compiling the documents we needed.
- She tried to make herself useful but there really isn’t anything left to do.
3. Be Of Service (To Someone)
Definition and Meaning: Be Of Service (To Someone)
The expression means to help someone.
Be Of Service (To Someone) Example Sentences:
- Vidal just wanted to be of service to the community.
- We try to be of service to the homeless in our city.
- Good morning, gentlemen. How can I be of service to you?
- Rami wanted to be of service to veterans so he volunteered.
- Tony was looking for a professional to be of service to his daughter.
4. Pull One’s Weight
Definition and Meaning: Pull One’s Weight
The expression means to work just as hard as the other members of a group or community.
Pull One’s Weight Example Sentences:
- Perhaps you should think about pulling your weight.
- She doesn’t pull her weight so others are complaining.
- I want to pull my weight so give me more things to do.
- Everyone can tell that he doesn’t pull his weight around here.
- It’s time they pulled their weight in the team.
5. The Early Bird Catches The Worm
Definition and Meaning: The Early Bird Catches The Worm
The expression “the early bird catches the worm” means that if you want to be successful, you need to start working early.
The Early Bird Catches The Worm Example Sentences:
- My mom always tells me that the early bird catches the worm, so I try to wake up early to get a head start on my day.
- My brother always gets to the office before anyone else because he believes that the early bird catches the worm.
6. Do Someone A Solid
Definition and Meaning: Do Someone A Solid
This expression means to be kind or helpful to someone or to do somebody an unexpected favor.
Do Someone A Solid Example Sentences:
- He did me a solid when I brought my car there for repairs.
- Can you do me a solid and run to the store real quick?
- Thanks, you did me a solid today.
- Their staff did me a solid when I entered with an emergency.
- Let me do you a solid and upsize that for free.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage, and definitions?
|Top Idioms For Life|
|Best Idioms For Impressed|
|Everyday Idioms For Enjoy|
|Top Idioms For Easy Things|
|Top Idioms For Hard Work Pays Off|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
William is a professional English and ESL teacher with over 15 years of experience. He has taught students of all ages, from children to business executives, and has worked with ESL learners from all over the globe. With a degree in English Education, William has developed curriculum for learners of all levels and interests. He is passionate about helping people learn English effectively and shares his knowledge with the LillyPad community. When he’s not teaching or writing, William enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children.