English Idioms for Wealth, expressions and proverbs are an important part of the English language, both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For English Learners idioms are confusing to make head or tail of, the reason being Idioms don’t make objective sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, ESL students must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at LillyPad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners encounter comprehending the true meaning and acceptable usage. This idioms list of Wealth makes learning easy, with common Wealth idioms, definitions, and example sentences that clarify the meaning.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Wealth together.
Idioms for Wealth with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. As Rich As Croesus
Definition and Meaning: As Rich As Croesus
The expression “as rich as Croesus” is used to describe someone who is extremely wealthy. Croesus is a wealthy king from western Asia Minor (Turkey) who minted gold from River Pactolus.
As Rich As Croesus Example Sentences:
- She’s as rich as Croesus and lives in a mansion.
- He’s always talking about his money and how he’s as rich as Croesus.
- I can’t believe she spent $1,000 on a dress! She must be as rich as Croesus.
- He’s as rich as Croesus but it’ll never be enough for him.
2. Money Talks
Definition and Meaning: Money Talks
The expression “as rich as” is a kind of figure of speech called simile. It is used to compare someone who has a lot of money.
Money Talks Example Sentences:
- Unfortunately, money talks in the field of medicine. If you don’t have it, you might not receive the best care.
- We can’t compete against him because he’s rich and money talks.
- Money talks when it comes to getting what we want.
- He’s not in prison because money talks.
3. Rolling In Dough
Definition and Meaning: Rolling In Dough
The expression “rolling in dough” describes someone very wealthy. It came from the figurative meaning of “bread,” which is “money.” A dough makes bread. Therefore, rolling in a dough means wealth.
Rolling In Dough Example Sentences:
- I’m rolling in dough after my big bonus this year.
- She’s rolling in dough after inheriting her uncle’s estate.
- They must be rolling in dough, judging by the size of their new house.
- I’d love to be rolling in dough like them someday.
- He’s been rolling in dough ever since he won the lottery.
4. Swimming In
Definition and Meaning: Swimming In
The expression “swimming in” is often used to describe a situation where someone has a lot of something.
Swimming In Example Sentences:
- I’m swimming in cash after winning the lottery.
- I’m swimming in debt and don’t know how to get out.
- He was swimming in money when his father gave him a million dollars.
5. Money To Burn
Definition and Meaning: Money To Burn
The expression “money to burn” is used to describe someone who has a lot of money and is not afraid to spend it.
Money To Burn Example Sentences:
- She’s got money to burn, and she’s not afraid to spend it.
- He’s got money to burn, so he purchased the latest iPhone.
- Let’s go on a cruise. I have some money to burn after my promotion.
- We’ve got money to burn, so let’s go on a vacation!
- Try investing in blue-chip stocks. You’ve got a lot of money to burn anyway.
6. Pot Of Gold
Definition and Meaning: Pot Of Gold
The expression “pot of gold” is often used to describe something very valuable or difficult to obtain. It originated from Irish folklore wherein leprechauns, a mistrustful creature in folk, buried a pot of gold. Figuratively, finding a pot of gold is having a windfall of wealth or money.
Pot Of Gold Example Sentences:
- He was hoping to find a pot of gold at the end of his journey.
- I was digging in my backyard when I found a chest of antique cups. It’s my pot of gold.
- John found his pot of gold when an international business hired him.
- Not all roads end with a pot of gold.
- She was not expecting to have her pot of gold, but she won the raffle draw for a hundred dollars.
7. A Money Tree
Definition and Meaning: A Money Tree
The expression “a money tree” is often used to describe a person or thing that seems to generate a lot of money with little effort.
A Money Tree Example Sentences:
- I can’t believe she spent $500 on a purse! She must have a money tree.
- He’s always buying new clothes and gadgets I wonder where he gets his money from…must be a money tree.
- His business is a money tree because he automated his process.
- My mother is so generous like a money tree.
8. A Cash Cow
Definition and Meaning: A Cash Cow
The expression “a cash cow” is used to describe a business or investment that generates a lot of money.
A Cash Cow Example Sentences:
- The new product has been a cash cow for the company.
- The manager discovered that renting the space for live events is a cash cow.
- Selling homemade ice cream is her cash cow during her summer break.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage and meanings?
|6 Common Idioms For Famous|
|4 Common Idioms For Terrible|
|8 Everyday Idioms For Competition|
|10 Common Idioms For Favorite Things|
|5 Best Idioms For Easy|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!