English Idioms for Writing Formal Letter, expressions, and proverbs are an essential part of the English language, both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For English Learners idioms are hard to figure out, the reason being Idioms don’t make objective sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Writing Formal Letter, learners must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners run into comprehending the true meaning and established usage. This idioms list of Writing Formal Letter makes learning simple, with common Writing Formal Letter idioms, definitions, and example sentences that make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Writing Formal Letter together.
Idioms for Writing Formal Letter with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. To Whom It May Concern
Definition and Meaning: To Whom It May Concern
The expression “to whom it may concern” is used to address a letter or other document to an unknown person or persons.
To Whom It May Concern Example Sentences:
- To whom it may concern, I am writing to inform you that I am resigning from my position as a Sales Manager effective immediately.
- To whom it may concern, I am writing to request a copy of my academic transcript from my time at your institution.
- To whom it may concern, I am writing to apply for the position of Senior Accountant at your company.
- To whom it may concern, I am writing to inform you that I am withdrawing my application for the position of Marketing Manager.
- To whom it may concern, I am writing to request a reference letter for my upcoming job interview.
2. Put Pen To Paper
Definition and Meaning: Put Pen To Paper
The expression “put pen to paper” means to sign a contract.
Put Pen To Paper Example Sentences:
- James will only put pen to paper if they agreed to his requests.
- Don’t put pen to paper until they’ve accepted your terms.
- These stipulations mean nothing until he’s put pen to paper.
- Put pen to paper before you agree to anything they propose.
- Putting pen to paper takes more than this in their culture.
3. Against The Clock
Definition and Meaning: Against The Clock
This means trying very hard to finish a task before the deadline
Against The Clock Example Sentences:
- We are working against the clock to secure the document.
- This letter should arrive on time as we’re working against the clock.
- I’m afraid we’re working against the clock here.
- I hate working against the clock. Send out the documents immediately, please.
- They’re against the clock so don’t bother them unless it’s important business.
4. Time Is On (Someone’s) Side
Definition and Meaning: Time Is On (Someone’s) Side
The expression “time is on (someone’s) side” means to have a lot of time to complete something.
Time Is On (Someone’s) Side Example Sentences:
- I wrote in my email that time is on our side so he won’t worry.
- Time is on our side but I’m grateful for any help that comes.
- Betina doesn’t feel pressured because time is on her side.
- Maybe time is on Greg’s side that’s why he isn’t anxious.
- No need to worry. Time is on our side so we can still rewrite the proposal.
5. I Look Forward To Hearing From You Soon
Definition and Meaning: I Look Forward To Hearing From You Soon
The expression “I look forward to hearing from you soon” is a polite way of saying that you hope to hear from the person soon.
I Look Forward To Hearing From You Soon Example Sentences:
- Thank you for your interest in our company I look forward to hearing from you soon.
- Please let me know if you have any questions I look forward to hearing from you soon.
- I hope you have a great day I look forward to hearing from you soon.
- I’m excited to learn more about your project I look forward to hearing from you soon.
- I’m eager to discuss the details of the job I look forward to hearing from you soon.
6. Time On (Someone’s) Hands
Definition and Meaning: Time On (Someone’s) Hands
The expression “time on (someone’s) hands” means a period when someone has nothing to do
Time On (Someone’s) Hands Example Sentences:
- We’ve got time on our hands, so we can still place the orders.
- Do you have time on your hands to rewrite the request?
- There’s time on your hands so you don’t have to finish in haste.
- Silas has time on his hands to modify the contract.
- The manager doesn’t have a lot of time in his hands.
7. Thank You For Your Interest
Definition and Meaning: Thank You For Your Interest
The expression “Thank you for your interest” is a polite way of saying “Thank you for expressing interest in what I have to say.
Thank You For Your Interest Example Sentences:
- Thank you for your interest in our company We appreciate your enthusiasm.
- Thank you for your interest in our product We look forward to hearing from you soon.
- Thank you for your interest in our services We are confident that you will be satisfied with the results.
- Thank you for your interest in our organization We are excited to have you join us.
- Thank you for your interest in our program We are sure you will find it beneficial.
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage, and definitions?
|6 Helpful Idioms For Essays|
|10 Helpful Idioms For Social Media Essay|
|10 Important Idioms For Email|
|10 Everyday Idioms For Argumentative Essay|
|6 Best Idioms For Essay Writing|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram!