8 Helpful Idioms For Friendship
English Idioms for Friendship use expressions and proverbs that are an essential part of the English language. Both spoken and written English are filled with them.
For English Language Students, idioms for Friendship are hard to interpret, the reason being; Idioms don’t make literal sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms for Friendship, language learners must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners encounter comprehending the true meaning and established usage. This idioms list of Friendship makes learning painless, with common Friendship idioms, definitions, and example sentences that clarify the meaning.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice. Bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let’s learn about idioms for Friendship together.
Idioms for Friendship with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed
Definition and Meaning: A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed
The expression means that a friend who helps you when you are in need is a true friend.
A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed Example Sentences:
- When I was struggling with my math homework, my friend stayed after school to help me A friend in need is a friend indeed.
- I was really upset after my breakup, but my friends were there for me A friend in need is a friend indeed.
- I was worried about my upcoming surgery, but my friend stayed with me at the hospital A friend in need is a friend indeed.
- I was feeling really down and out, but my friend cheered me up A friend in need is a friend indeed.
- I was having a really tough day, but my friend was there for me A friend in need is a friend indeed.
2. Blood Is Thicker Than Water
Definition and Meaning: Blood Is Thicker Than Water
The expression “blood is thicker than water” is a proverb that means family relationships are stronger than other relationships.
Blood Is Thicker Than Water Example Sentences:
- Family is the most important thing to me, blood is thicker than water
- I know we fight a lot, but blood is thicker than water and I’ll always love you
- No matter what happens, blood is thicker than water and I’ll always be there for you
- I’m sorry I didn’t help you, but blood is thicker than water and I had to choose my family
- I know you’re my enemy, but blood is thicker than water and I can’t just let you die
3. Great Minds Think Alike
Definition and Meaning: Great Minds Think Alike
The expression “great minds think alike” means that people with great minds tend to have similar thoughts and ideas.
Great Minds Think Alike Example Sentences:
- We both came up with the same solution to the problem Great minds think alike!
- I knew you’d choose the green dress! Great minds think alike
- It’s no coincidence that we both love chocolate ice cream Great minds think alike!
- I was just about to call you when you called me Great minds think alike!
4. Opposites Attract
Definition and Meaning: Opposites Attract
The phrase “opposites attract” is often used to describe relationships in which two people who are very different from each other are drawn to each other.
Opposites Attract Example Sentences:
- They say that opposites attract, and that’s certainly true in my case
- I never would have thought that I would be attracted to someone so different from me, but opposites definitely do attract!
- I’m proof that opposites can indeed attract, as I’m currently in a happy and healthy relationship with my complete opposite
- In my experience, opposites really do attract – so if you’re looking for love, don’t rule out anyone who seems to be your complete opposite
5. When The Going Gets Tough
Definition and Meaning: When The Going Gets Tough
The expression “when the going gets tough” is often used to describe a difficult or challenging situation.
When The Going Gets Tough Example Sentences:
- When the going gets tough, I always think of my goals
- When the going gets tough, I remind myself that I can handle anything
- When the going gets tough, I take a deep breath and keep going
- When the going gets tough, I tell myself that it’s only temporary
- When the going gets tough, I find someone to lean on
6. There’s No Place Like Home
Definition and Meaning: There’s No Place Like Home
There’s no place like home is an idiom that means that there is no place better than home.
There’s No Place Like Home Example Sentences:
- I love being at home with my family There’s no place like home.
- I’m so homesick There’s no place like home.
- I can’t wait to go home There’s no place like home.
- I wish I could just stay home There’s no place like home.
- I’m so glad I’m finally home There’s no place like home.
7. Home Is Where The Heart Is
Definition and Meaning: Home Is Where The Heart Is
The expression “home is where the heart is” means that the place where you feel most comfortable and happy is your home.
Home Is Where The Heart Is Example Sentences:
- I may not have a lot of material possessions, but home is where the heart is
- No matter where life takes me, I’ll always remember that home is where the heart is
- He slept well knowing that home is where the heart is
8. Actions Speak Louder Than Words
Definition and Meaning: Actions Speak Louder Than Words
The expression “actions speak louder than words” means that it is better to do something than to just say that you will do it.
Actions Speak Louder Than Words Example Sentences:
- Actions speak louder than words when it comes to proving your love
- I know that actions speak louder than words
- You should have been there! Actions speak louder than words
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage and meanings?
|Idioms For Change For The Better|
|Idioms For Annoyance|
|Idioms For Experience|
|Idioms For Favorite|
|Idioms For Beauty|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
Bethany MacDonald has contributed articles LillyPad.ai since 2020. As their Blog Lead, she specialises in informative pieces on culture, education, and language learning