6 Everyday Idioms For Ending A Relationship
English Idioms for Ending A Relationship, expressions, and proverbs are an essential part of the English language, both spoken and written English are saturated with them.
For English Language Students idioms for Ending A Relationship are difficult to conceptualize, the reason being Idioms don’t make common sense.
To learn the meanings and usage of idioms, language learners must practice and familiarize themselves with their everyday usage.
The team at Lillypad understands the pain and difficulties English Learners run up against comprehending the true meaning and appropriate usage. This list of idioms for Ending A Relationship makes learning easy, with common Ending A Relationship idioms, definitions, and example sentences that make the meaning clear.
Learning to use common idioms and expressions will make your English sound more native, so it’s a good idea to master some of these expressions with daily practice, so bookmark this page or share it with your friends; now let us learn about idioms for Ending A Relationship together.
Idioms for Ending A Relationship with Meanings, Definitions & Example Sentences
1. On A Break
Definition and Meaning: On A Break
The expression “on a break” means that the person is taking a break from something.
On A Break Example Sentences:
- My boss is on a break, so I’ll have to wait to ask her about the project.
- I’m on a break from studying, so I’m going to take a walk around the block.
- We’re on a break from our relationship, so we’re not seeing each other for a while.
- My team is on a break from practice, so we’re all grabbing a snack.
- I’m on a break from work, so I’m going to take a nap.
2. Call It Quits
Definition and Meaning: Call It Quits
Simply means to end a romantic relationship.
Call It Quits Example Sentences:
- We should call it quits because this isn’t working anymore.
- They called it quits after only 3 months of dating.
- I don’t want to call it quits. We can fix this.
- Isn’t it a waste to call it quits after three years?
- If you’re not happy with him anymore, maybe you should call it quits.
3. This Just Isn’t Working Out
Definition and Meaning: This Just Isn’t Working Out
The expression “This just isn’t working out” is often used to describe a situation where two people are not compatible with each other.
This Just Isn’t Working Out Example Sentences:
- I’m sorry, but I think this relationship isn’t going anywhere This just isn’t working out.
- I’m sorry, but I think this job isn’t the right fit for me This just isn’t working out.
- I’m sorry, but I think this project isn’t going to be successful This just isn’t working out.
- I’m sorry, but I think this business partnership isn’t going to be successful This just isn’t working out.
- I’m sorry, but I think this friendship isn’t going to last This just isn’t working out.
4. On The Rocks
Definition and Meaning: On The Rocks
The expression “on the rocks” means a romantic relationship isn’t going well.
On The Rocks Example Sentences:
- They have been on the rocks for months before they broke up.
- Why would they admit that their relationship is on the rocks to you?
- We’ve been on the rocks for a bit but we worked on our relationship.
- I had no idea that Jean and Paulo’s marriage is on the rocks.
- They were on the rocks when I stepped in and played Cupid.
5. Drop Someone Like A Hot Potato
Definition and Meaning: Drop Someone Like A Hot Potato
This expression means to leave a relationship without a second thought.
Drop Someone Like A Hot Potato Example Sentences:
- As soon as someone cheats on me, I’m dropping them like a hot potato.
- She dropped him like a hot potato last year.
- You’re not about to drop me like a hot potato on my birthday, are you?
- He doesn’t deserve you. Drop him like a hot potato.
- I can’t believe Justin dropped Trina like a hot potato.
6. To Break Up
Definition and Meaning: To Break Up
This expression also means to end a relationship.
To Break Up Example Sentences:
- I feel like I’m about to break up with my boyfriend.
- Breaking up sounds extreme. Perhaps it’s not too late.
- There were a lot of celebrity couples that broke up this year.
- Do you think breaking up over this is reasonable?
Looking for more examples of English Idioms with example sentences, proper usage, and definitions?
|Top Idioms For Achieving Goals|
|Everyday Idioms For Giving Advice|
|Important Idioms For Being Rich|
|Best Idioms For The Best Of The Best|
|Everyday Idioms For Rare|
Learn from History – Follow the Science – Listen to the Experts
What’s the one thing that makes LillyPad so special? Lilly! She is a personal English tutor, and has people talking all over the world! Lilly makes improving your English easy. With Lilly, you can read in four different ways, and you can read just about anything you love. And learning with Lilly, well that’s what you call liberating!
For learners of all ages striving to improve their English, LillyPad combines the most scientifically studied and recommended path to achieving English fluency and proficiency with today’s most brilliant technologies!
Additionally, the platform incorporates goal-setting capabilities, essential tracking & reporting, gamification, anywhere-anytime convenience, and significant cost savings compared to traditional tutoring methodologies.
At LillyPad, everything we do is focused on delivering a personalized journey that is meaningful and life-changing for our members. LillyPad isn’t just the next chapter in English learning…
…it’s a whole new story!
Do you want to improve your English? Visit www.lillypad.ai.
William is a professional English and ESL teacher with over 15 years of experience. He has taught students of all ages, from children to business executives, and has worked with ESL learners from all over the globe. With a degree in English Education, William has developed curriculum for learners of all levels and interests. He is passionate about helping people learn English effectively and shares his knowledge with the LillyPad community. When he’s not teaching or writing, William enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children.